cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Dog Trainer, SAR K9 Handler, & Forester

Hi I am Ashley.  Enjoying the outdoors runs in my veins for at least 3 generations.  My family has a history of either choosing an "Outdoor" career path or choosing the outdoors for recreation.  I have a Bachelor's Degree in Forestry with a minor in Wildlife Biology.  Out of college, I worked for a private Timber Company for 8+ years practicing sustainable forestry.  I spent most of my time hiking through the woods off trail (on private timberland), just me and my dog, Ella.  I navigated my way through the woods using just a topographic map and compass.  Then I became a SAR K9 Handler and have now been involved with K9 SAR for almost 8 years.  My dog, Popeye, is a retired SAR K9 (Wilderness Area Search).  He served as my partner on multiple SAR Missions.  He now serves as my demo dog in my dog training business and has helped me with many client dogs.  I will start training another SAR K9 soon.  I joined this community because I enjoy empowering people to get outside with their dogs.  I believe the best dose of relaxation and therapy (mental and physical) for humans and their dogs is NATURE.  In October 2019 I taught a K9 Outdoor Safety & Fun Class at multiple REI locations in the Bay Area, and I can't wait to start teaching those classes again!  In the meantime I just want to connect with some like-minded people!  Thank you for providing this amazing space REI!

Labels (3)
7 Replies

@AshleyMay Welcome and thank you for sharing!

You bring an incredible experience to our community, we're so glad you're here. Don't be surprised if we tag you in some posts so you can share your expertise. Also, we'd love to see some photos of Popeye!

John

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Here is Popeye enjoying retirement at the creek behind our house.Here is Popeye enjoying retirement at the creek behind our house.

@AshleyMay look at that sweet (and well behaved) pup!

@AshleyMay Hello, Ashley! Welcome aboard! He looks like a sweet boy.

0 Likes

@AshleyMay 

We wanted to let you know that we recently launched a new All Locations landing page and added a lot of new boards for the many places people have lived and recreated – we’d love if you were able to share pictures of these places or suggest specific locations to get outside. Any and all places you have experience with! Thanks!

Ok cool!  I will keep this in mind on my adventures.  I will also look back through some old photos to see if I have any that I can upload now.  Thanks!

@AshleyMay thanks so much - we'd love your help bringing those new boards to life!

0 Likes