cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Am I an oxymoron? (from PNW)

Hello!
I figured I'd actually use the introduction board for once since I have high hopes for this community.
I love REI and am always hitting forums with questions and browsing to steal ideas and tips from others and hope those can combine here.

As for the teaser title, I was born and raised in the PNW but hate rain. 🙂
Everyone says I'm crazy or not really from here. 🙂

I have no grand bucket list items; I just love spending time outside and away from civilization when possible.

Professionally, I currently work in IT. Before you ask for help, turn it off and back on. You're welcome.

I love:

Climbing (sport especially but dabbling in trad right now),
Anything else on a rope (canyoning, vertical caving, high ropes course, etc)
Hiking,
Backpacking,
Camping,
Relaxing outdoors (swinging in a hammock, sitting around a campfire, hanging out around a cabin...)

I'm a bit of a gear junkie.

I used to care nothing about pack weight but getting out of my 20's made me old and I'm more gear/pack weight conscious now; it's making for some changes in gear inspired by ultralight backpackers.
It's rough for me because I have never minded being the pack mule and I lean towards the "be prepared" and "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" mentalities.

I've got an adorable toddler so am trying to learn how and what I can do now.

3 Replies

@aarond hey, and welcome; we're really excited you've joined our community, and are grateful for all you've been contributing already! Also love your IT advice on turning on/off again - solid!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@aarond More than once I have decided not to cycle or go day hiking because of rain. On the other hand, on an extended trip with an itinerary, I may have no choice. You know what is worse than rain? A cold 40 degree rain! I would rather hike and backpack in the snow at 30 degrees or below than hike in a cold rain.

aka "Boonerelli"

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I hear you there!

Definitely been caught in rain but I usually plan trips around it.

While I don't love most snow activities, I'd definitely rather do most things in snow than rain. 🙂