cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We are currently experiencing issues with logging in and staying logged in, most often with Chrome, We're sorry and are working hard on resolution.
Highlighted

Alex from Western MA

Hey! My name's Alex! I used to mostly do car-camping, but I met a beautiful bicycle & I've branched into cycling & backpacking.

No bikepacking yet because I have a little 60-pound, year-and-a-half old pup - he's pretty good about staying next to the bicycle for a run around the city, but it's not perfect, and I'm not sure about the physical stress of a long ride. He does fall right asleep in a tent, though -- my only challenge there is that he'll sleep in at home, but he's ready to go at 5 AM when we're at a primitive site. Early.

Anyway, I'm in the far, far part of western MA, where we're brushing up against New York & Vermont, so we have a lot of beautiful stuff to see. Dayhikes are awesome. I'm hoping to hit the Long Trail soon, at least for a couple of days.

If anyone's local & is interested in linking up for a little skiing come winter, absolutely shoot me a message!

Cheers!

6 Replies
Highlighted

@AlexH-C let's see a picture of the pup!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
Highlighted

Welcome to the community Alex!

Highlighted

@AlexH-C Warm welcome Alex.

Highlighted

@AlexH-C Welcome Alex!  I went to UMASS Amherst (among other places) for undergrad and love western MA.  If you ever have any questions about gear, hit us up here!  Also, I know it would be quite the drive to get to an REI store from where you are, but did you know that REI offers virtual outfitting?  It's a virtual video conference where we can connect you with an expert to answer any questions you might have.

https://www.rei.com/outfitting

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
Highlighted

Welcome, Alex! You're right, Western Mass. is a beautiful place! Lots to do! My limited experience hiking the Long Trail is that sections of it are in beautiful condition compared with many of the Adirondack high peaks. The views from the many, many summits on the Long Trail are spectacular too. Have fun! Ever do any biking in New Hampshire?

Highlighted

Thank you very much! It is pretty incredible. Interesting you bring up the ADKs! My partner just finished her 46th last weekend. (15 miles is fine for me - she's trail-running three or five peaks a day. Crazy.) I haven't done any cycling in NH just because of the distance through Vermont but is certainly not to say that it is out of the question! Coming out of winter, I think there'll be a lot of trips on the horizon.

0 Likes