cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Where to fix Salomon hiking shoes?

Hi all!

The outside layer of one of my Salomon hiking shoes got unstitched on one side and I would like to get it fixed. Do you know any shoe fixer in Seattle I can take it to?

Thank you!

0 Likes
4 Replies

I can't recommend anyone specifically but just want to point something out. If these shoes have a waterproofing layer like Gore-Tex, then restitching them will pierce the membrane. That will reduce their waterproofness, perhaps by a lot depending on where the stitching is located. 

...Wanderer

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Ans they will be perfectly fine shoes.  My experience with goretex linings is that they are unnecessary.  i wore through the goretex linings on a pair of Vasques, often walking through wet grass and the interior of the boot was dry as ever.  What really worked was keeping the exterior leather waterproofed - SnoSeal!!

0 Likes

@hikermor 

I agree that Gore-tex et al is over-hyped for use in shoes. The membrane does tend to break down from the constant flexing. 

I had a pair of hiking boots restitched and then noticed water seepage from that area  so I was just setting expectations. I suppose I could have applied some sort of waterproofing like SnoSeal around that area. The stitching was on leather boots. I wonder how effective that would be on artificial materials.

...Wanderer

0 Likes

Hi @blaver - Thanks for reaching out!

For boot and shoe repair, we suggest Dave Page, an independent cobbler in Seattle. The store's information is as follows:

Dave Page, Cobbler
3509 Evanston Ave. N.
Seattle, WA 98103

Call: (800) 252-1229 or (206) 632-8686
Email: cobbler@davepagecobbler.com

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes