cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What sort of foot wear add-ons do I need to hike in PA/NJ after the snow

I live in northeastern PA. Last winter I started hiking through the winter and was lucky that it didn't really snow so I didn't need to think about snow gear. After the ~foot of snow we got last week I'm feeling very grounded right now. I was curious what sort of footwear addons people would recommend for snow in this region. I'm wondering if I need snow shoes or if assuming I don't go out right after it snows if I'd be better off with just spikes. Recommendations on specific products would also be appreciated.

0 Likes
6 Replies

I use sno seal on my boots for waterproofing and use gators for walking in snow 

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

I was also going to recommend waterproofing and gaiters (gators, whatever) but Phil beat me to it...Get the long variety.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

further...if you're on a trail, you might consider some traction device to slip on if and when it gets a bit icy.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Thanks all!

0 Likes

Waterproof boots, gaiters and traction devices as above can be essential. If you venture further west into, say Tioga or Potter counties, you might even need snowshoes 😉

...Wanderer

Hi @TammyS .  One more vote for gaiters and traction devices.  I live in northeastern Maryland and hike in York & Lancaster counties in PA frequently.  When the weather conditions demand it, I personally use Outdoor Research Verglas gaiters Kahtoola EXOspikes

Good luck and enjoy the snow!

0 Likes