cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What's your favorite unique day hike accessory?

Smiley Wink

0 Likes
7 Replies

Watermelon jolly ranchers @footprintsonly4 ! Not sure if that counts but I love them and only treat myself on hikes.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

We always take a Wawa soft pretzel to share as part of our mid-point snack.

@footprintsonly4 I'm a sucker for a great seat pad! They have so many uses and is typically the least expensive piece of gear I'm carrying.  I never leave home for a hike without mine.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

The day after Valentine's Day those hard candy hearts with messages on them go on sale for about $.10 a box.  They are the perfect pick-me-up on the trail.  I buy enough boxes to last through the summer, and my hiking partners always count on me having enough to share!  I put them in my hip belt pocket and have a few every half hour or so.  Or right before the big climb.

And since you said unique, here's another:  my hearing aids.  Even when solo I sometimes wear them so I can hear the birds, the water, and the wind.  Without them I tend to go inward.

mine in a 'food accessory' also, a zip lock back of large fritos, omg, drooling...a guilty pleasure I save for hiking only.

story time: some of my closest backpacking friends tell me their fondest trip memories were of me pulling out a bag of these large fritos from the top of my pack and sharing during freezing rain storms.  Definitely a morale boost.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

A hammock!!! I will nap with the best of them if the area allows! Anyone else love just relaxing in the outdoors?  I once did my remote work in a hammock using my laptop and cell phone hot spot. It was awesome. 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

On a hot day hike, I love having my Kool Tie wrapped around my neck and keeping me cool. Also agree with having jolly ranchers or gummy bears for that extra push on the switchback.