cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: What makes a hike spectacular?

Most hikes are pretty fun (even if sometimes the grueling ones are more type 2 fun), but there are aways those special ones that leave you thinking about them afterwards. So what sets one hike apart from another and makes it spectacular? 

For me, there are a few things:

• The views

Living on the east coast, we don't have the same spectacular views around every corner that lots of western hikers are blessed with, so when a hike does provide lots of views and time above treeline, I tend to go back to it over and over again.

• The wild berries

I'm a sucker for berry season. I could easily spend and hour or two in the middle of a hike picking wild blueberries or raspberries.

• The swimming

Finally, I like a nice swimming hole at the end of a long day of hiking. Bonus points if I can jump off a rock into the water.

So what sets a hike apart for you, and elevates it to the next level?

8 Replies

For me, it could be as simple as not raining!  I'm a drought-breaker when it comes to hiking.

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

The company you keep. I love to see the look on my kids faces when we stumble upon some random awesomeness. 

Nice weather, challenging trails, nice humans, and dogs! I lead a doggy hiking group, and to us, nothing is more enjoyable than watching the unbridled joy of our dogs running around and frolicking.  

0 Likes

Solitude has become a bigger factor for me over the years. Waiting in line on a trail or to see a viewpoint makes me feel like I’m back in the city.  Don’t get me wrong, I like people, but when I hike I’m looking for an escape.

I can tell you! Everytime I see my backpack somewhere in the corner of my room my feet are starting to fidget. It´s the hike itself. If you´re out there with wind, rain and sun on your face and nothing else but wilderness.

Back to the roots of mankind I guess - that makes a hike spectacular for me!

Thanks for that topic.

0 Likes

I'm with you about the berries grzeg_oh, but last July I was hiking through a burn and stumbled across a prolific patch of morel mushrooms.  The hike came to a halt as I picked a hat-full for our dinner (and breakfast) enough to share with friends.

0 Likes

This kind of thing always makes me think of the Mary Oliver poem "How I go to the Woods"

Ordinarily, I go to the woods alone, with not a single
friend, for they are all smilers and talkers and therefore
unsuitable.

I don’t really want to be witnessed talking to the catbirds
or hugging the old black oak tree. I have my way of
praying, as you no doubt have yours.

Besides, when I am alone I can become invisible. I can sit
on the top of a dune as motionless as an uprise of weeds,
until the foxes run by unconcerned. I can hear the almost
unhearable sound of the roses singing.

If you have ever gone to the woods with me, I must love

you very much.

- I'm the best at being me when I'm outside

Wow!  Thanks for the Mary Oliver, Bonfire!  Well said

0 Likes