cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What is the difference between the Osprey ACE 38 and 50 backpacks?

Hello I am trying to decide between an Osprey Ace 38 and ACE 50 pack for my 7 year old daughter (tall for her age).  It appears the only differene is the 50 has zippered pockets on the hipbelts. Is that true. I think that would be helpful but am not sure if it is too big of a bag for her? Thanks

0 Likes
3 Replies

@CMCDONALD Thanks for reaching out!

There are two differences in the ACE packs by Osprey: the first, as you have pointed out, is the zippered pockets on the hip belts, the second is the torso length for each pack. The Ace 38 fits torso lengths from 11-14 inches and the Ace 50 fits torso lengths from 13-17 inches. The additional length of the backpack accounts for most of the increased volume.

Proper fit of a backpack is a critical factor in keeping anyone, kids or adults, comfortable on a backpacking trip. If you'd like some tips on how to measure torso length for a backpack fit, please check out this Expert Advice article on How to Size and Fit a Backpack. Additionally, it is important to remember that a child should only carry between 10-20% of their body weight in a backpack. So if your daughter weighs, say, 60 pounds, then she should be carrying between 6 and 12 pounds. Because of the longer torso length, the Ace 50 (3 lbs, 11 oz), is almost a pound heavier than the Ace 38 (2 lbs, 14 oz). Proper fit is the most important, but that weight savings is good to think about as well if, for example, she has a torso length of 13 or 14 inches and could fit into either backpack.

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

couldn't agree more with @REI-JohnJ

If you have the opportunity, go into an REI store and let them do the fitting.  When I finally did that, it literally changed my hiking life (for the better!!) , getting the correct fit in a backpack is essential, for your comfort and your wallet, lol!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

@CMCDONALD as @Philreedshikes mentions, getting fit is so helpful when it comes to packs. While our stores are closed, we are offering the opportunity to do virtual outfitting - you can sign up for a time here!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes