cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Membership now as great as the outdoors!
Already a member? Take a look at the Co-op Members section of the community.
Ready to join? Explore all of the benefits here.

What hikes are on your list for the months ahead?

There has been a lot of chatter recently about finalizing weekend plans and rounding up essential hiking gear. It seems like a fun time to talk about what hikes folks are heading out on this summer! 

I live up in northern Vermont and have been able to enjoy some great wanders around my local trails since the snow has melted. The forests seem to be erupting in green with all of the fresh, spring growth. It almost feels like the world has its saturation turned up a notch!

Springtime vortex in the Green Mountains!Springtime vortex in the Green Mountains!

I made it up to Camel's Hump last week and am now scheming about what's next. So far, I'm thinking about Mt Pisgah for its view of Lake Willoughby and a loop of Mt Mansfield with some add-ons to stop by as many mountain cabins along the way as I can!

Where are you headed? Tell us about your upcoming hikes!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
29 Replies

I, too hope you get your GC permit.  I got one last October for 3 nights R2R - Cottonwood CG, Bright Angel CG, Indian Garden CG and loved it.  Make sure to detour to Ribbon Falls. Weather on October 12 North Rim was 6” of snow and still falling.  Beautiful.

And watch out for the mules.  I was completely off trail when one actually aimed for me, hit my shoulder and bowled me over.  Tore my rotator cuff and I got five anchors.

It’s an awe inspiring place and you’ll never forget it.  Take time to savor it.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

@johnt  holy smokes! that bites, sorry to hear about that.

did the bridge on the cut off trail to ribbon falls ever get fixed?

And, did you stop for a beer or steak at phantom?

DSC04686.JPGDSC04689.JPGDSC04692.JPGDSC04698.JPG

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

No, no bridge and the creek was pretty high because of the snowmelt.  We really had to choose our crossing carefully and useFrom behind Ribbon FallsFrom behind Ribbon FallsNorth Kaibab THNorth Kaibab TH our poles.  We had the stew, breakfast and sack lunch at Phantom and thought they were great! Worth every dollar for not having to carry those meals.  Wanted a beer but they weren’t selling them.

Love the photo. I'm starting small @ Bald Mtn. State Park, SE MI. Rolling hills, a pretty creek, and large pockets of trillium in bloom right now. Hoping to find the entrance to the Rocky Road to Heaven, a narrow winding uphill about 200 yds. long, that ends at the top of a sand slide. Beautiful views and lots of nostalgia, not to mention watching the wildlife and fly fishermen down below. After that it's Go Up North. That's what we do here in the mitten.

With any luck, my postponed Long Trail hike later this year.

There is a certain lake in the high Uintas Wilderness Area that has the same name as my daughter.  My goal is to persuade her to backpack up there with me.   It'll have to wait until July or August when the snow melts, though. 

0 Likes

Hopefully not Kidney or Grandaddy Lake!🤣

- have permits for 4, desolation wilderness, later part of July (not def, seeking more motivation, lol)

- bridger wilderness, prob late Aug, via big sandy trail head, easy 5 day loop, because I'm old.

- teton wilderness, would be in conjunction with a bridger trip, because I'd like to drive up this time, via turpin meadows trail head, loop following rivers

If I take my truck, I'm not sandwiched in between flights and rental car duration, and can take my time or adjust my plans, .....because I'm not getting any younger.

The day you asked we hiked to Delicate Arch, Landscape Arch, Double Arch, the Windows Loop, and Sand Dune Arch in Arches NP and around a sunset loop the day before at Dead Horse SP.  I loved the Delicate hike, very fun scrambling up to the top!

LandscapeLandscapeWindowsWindowsDead HorseDead HorseDelicateDelicateSand DuneSand DunePrimitive Trail After Sand DunePrimitive Trail After Sand DuneDead HorseDead HorseDelicateDelicate

Wow! Great pics!