cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What happens when the single-pull lace on the Salomon shoe breaks?

I just purchased the Salomon X Ultra 3 Low GTX hiking shoe.  It has a single pull lace system, where the lace is a continuous loop.  It tightens with a slider/lock mechanism. 

I like the shoe, but what happens when the lace breaks, as it will? Is there a replacement lace from Salomon?  The holes look too small for regular laces.  

I am trying to decide whether to keep these, so your answer(s) will be appreciated.

Salomon X Ultra 3 Low GTX Hiking Shoes - Men's

0 Likes
7 Replies

Hi @rjsphd - Thanks for bringing this question to the community!

We do carry Salomon replacement laces that work with the Salomon X Ultra Low GTX Hiking Shoes in case the originals break.

While you are not looking for replacements right now, we did want to mention that those laces are currently out of stock. We expect additional inventory to arrive in the weeks ahead, though that timeline could shift due to variables in shipping and processing timelines.

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Perfect!  Thank you for the answer.

0 Likes

@rjsphd - You're welcome! It's a great question. We love to hear about people wanting to repair their gear and keep it in use for a long time to come!

There are a lot of hikers here in the community who are always happy to share their stories, experiences, and know-how. We hope you continue to come back and share more questions and your own expertise going forward!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

I have been using their quick lace in trail runners and boots for years and never had one break.  Underneath the rubber piece you pull on the laces are melted/glued together, you can slide it to the side if you want to see it.  I have bought off brand replacement quick laces for other boots where you tie them at the top, cut the excess and slide on a new piece of rubber, so a repair shouldn't be too bad (you may even be able to tie it together again depending on where it breaks).

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

The answer to life, the universe, and everything is too easy to use for every question now.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I have worn Salomon hiking shoes for 7 years and have never had a problem with the single pull lace (my husband also wears them and has never had a problem with the laces).  I do remember when buying my first pair I was also scared the pull lace would rip. - I buy 2 pairs per year and NO problems.  Good Luck