cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What are the loops for on the Co-op Ruckpack 18?

I recently got a REI Co-op Ruckpack 18 Recycled Daypack and there are 2 loops on the back side at the top that I have no idea what they are for. The features list does not mention them, and they are not shown in use in any of the photos. Can you tell me?
Also, how exactly is the hip belt removed? I see no way to do so. And what does the description mean by "Full-zip design"? I think the zipper opening is rather small, it's only at the top half.
I realize from reading the reviews that this is a reboot of an older item. Possibly is the write-up from the old product?
Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance for your help.

Gail

What are these for?What are these for?

0 Likes
3 Replies

Hi @GailKNJ - Thanks for reaching out! These are great questions about the Co-op Ruckpack 18.

The loops you have pointed out are meant to connect the Ruckpack 18 to a Ruckpack 40 or 60 to create a larger travel set. The side compression straps from one of those larger packs can be removed, then used to attach the 18 to the face of the larger pack through those loops. This diagram from the the Ruckpack 60’s user manual shows the system. 

MicrosoftTeams-image (2).png

To remove the hip belt, you will want to start at the loose end and pull it through the small elastic tab, unloop it from the center buckle, then unloop it from the tri-glide closest to the pack itself. This will allow the nylon webbing to be free from the pack.

You did indeed catch a typo with “full zip design” being in the description for the Ruckpack 18! We have sent your note on the discrepancy to be reviewed and the page will be updated. Thank you so much for pointing this out to us.

Let us know if you have any further questions and we’d be happy to help!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Carter, thank you for the explanations, I appreciate you taking the time to answer!
Gail

0 Likes

@GailKNJ 

You're welcome Gail! We're always happy to help. Certainly less us know when you have more questions or feedback about gear in the future. It can be a lot of fun to discuss the details and make sure we are using these pieces to their full potential!

Thanks again for catching that mistake on the product page. Hope this pack treats you well!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes