cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Ways to organize group hikes

It's always fun to go hiking with a group of friends and friends of friends, be it 3 or 12 or more. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to make this happen?

3 Replies

I joined a Meetup.com group in the Cincinnati back in 2007 and had a few good trips with them. They usually are pretty vanilla hikes to really popular spots but I met some friends and went camping when I otherwise wouldn't have. Worth checking out.

We had a friend who knew all the fun trails around the NW including Mount Rainier.  Sometimes they'd even be in-city hikes.  Every Tuesday or Wednesday he would send out a group email to every single person he knew who likes to hike (probably 30 or more people).  He'd say what the hike was going to be, what time and where to meet, and any other necessary details.  He did this all winter for cross country skiing, too.  He say, RSVP if you're coming.  Sometimes there would be 2 or 3 people, sometimes there would be 15.  If no one responded, he'd just go on his own.  What a great friend to have.  He was our social director.   He brought so many diverse people together who normally wouldn't have known each other.  Always a fun time.  Unfortunately he's not here any more.  Someone in the email group needs to pick up the slack...I know it could be me : )  Just gotta do it. 

0 Likes

It really depends, but one method is using social media. For instance, putting the information out on your Instagram story, so that everyone can see what you're thinking and then respond if they are interested. Word of mouth can work too, and especially if you show people pictures of where you go on hikes, or where you are planning on going, they are more likely to be interested.

Happy Hiking!

"Not getting to the summit is not failure, it is an opportunity to go there again."
-Kilian Jornet-
0 Likes