cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Walking tips for pavement to use on REI Co-op Flash Trekking poles

I just recently bought a pair of REI Flash Carbon trekkiing poles about a year ago.  They have rubber tips, but the metal part in the center on the very bottom in the center really hits the side walk hard when walking in the city.  It makes a loud noise.  I ordered a new pair of rubber tips, but I don't see any way to remove the old ones.  Is there something that fits over the ones that came with the poles, or do I need to figure out how to remove the old ones and replace them with the new rubber tips? 

0 Likes
6 Replies

@Nathen Thanks for reaching out!

We recommend the REI Co-op Trekking Pole Rubber Walking Tips to put over the end of your trekking poles to keep the metal from hitting the pavement. When you install these they should just fit over the end of your trekking pole snugly; there is nothing to remove. Which set of rubber tips did you purchase? It could be that the set you purchased is too small (or too big) to fit over the end of your pole.

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@Nathen Thanks for sending the pics over email!

The rubber tips that you have on your trekking poles should be removable. There is no real 'trick' to getting them off, they should just pull off the end. They may be very stuck on there if you have had them on for a long time. The replacement tips you need are the REI Co-op Trekking Pole Rubber Walking Tips 12mm. There are many reviews that talk about the metal tip of the trekking pole eventually wearing through the walking tip. Several users recommend placing a very small 3/8" washed in the end of the walking tip to prevent this issue.

Hopefully this helps, please let us know if you have other questions!

0 Likes

Thanks John.  I'm all set!

I don't know if this is still current, buy several folks I know have recommended the local drug store, i.e. Rite Aid, etc, for the purchase of rubber tips primarily used for walking canes.  Seems like a good idea.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Thanks Everyone.  Problem solved--I ordered new tips from REI and they fit just fine.

@Nathen 

We're glad to hear it, thanks for coming back to let us know!

0 Likes