cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Upcycle Your Old Gear | 'Hikes for Health' Week 4

We're excited to announce 'Hikes for Health', a month-long focus on health, wellness, and spending time outside. Each week includes its own mini-challenge, virtual event, sweepstakes prize, and inspiring special guest — to register and learn more information, click here!

Have you seen a retired pair of boots repurposed into a planter? Old skis put together to form a fence? Maybe an old climbing rope wound around itself to serve as a welcome mat? During the week of 6/7 - 6/13, we encourage you to transform an unused piece of gear into a fun work or art or upcycle it into something useful.

Share photos of your creations and let us know what we're looking at!

H4H4.jpg

Did you miss Week 1, Week 2, or Week 3?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
Labels (1)
5 Replies

Should I wait until May 31st? Or is this posted too early?

This part of the Hikes for Health series is going to be "live" during that week, with the sustainability-focused sweepstakes, events, and more all happening then. We posted this now so people can view what's going on and register for the event if they're interested, but if you want to submit your post early, that is perfectly fine too!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

0CD7548C-C56D-4637-BAE1-C2F15EE3E94E.jpeg

I use old jars to make cheap terrariums and bring some of the outside in to my home office. 

I wish I could share some repurposed gear, but I’m building my gear up now. I plan to use as much pre-loved as possible.

I keep most of my food containers and reuse them for planters, beverages (like giant iced coffees, more attractive dog treat jars, as watering “cans.” It goes on and on. Thanks for the last 4 weeks. 

15768D16-CC8C-4F84-BE21-486A8A88A909.jpeg

EFF402F2-AE8F-4C0D-8A52-73188CE28058.jpeg

Ok, so I'm sure many of you out there have "repurposed" you old jeans into cutoffs, etc...

Here are my old Patagonia fleece pants repurposed into yoga/lounging shorts. I do this to a lot of my frayed, ripped, and blown-out pants.

PXL_20210613_235432913.jpg