cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

trekking poles - rubber tips for rocky terrain?

I received a pair of Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork poles for Christmas. I live in the desert and most hikes are rocky trails in the Mountains. I think I should use rubber tips. Should I purchase the rubber tip replacements or the rubber tip protectors? Any advice?

0 Likes
7 Replies

Not 100% necessary but I like them and always carry them. They work better than the carbide tips on rock and are much quieter.

Note: Not to be confused with the thin plastic shipping tip protectors that come with some poles.

0 Likes

+1 agree.  Rubber tips are generally preferable on both rocky surfaces and sidewalks or pavement.  With caride tips, there is a danger of the pole wedging deeply and becoming damaged,

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

One more thing.  I use the push on ones that cover the carbide tips and not the fancy screw in rubber tips that BD hawks on some of their poles. I don't like the screw in ones since they are hard to swap out on trail

0 Likes

@OldGuyot wrote:

One more thing.  I use the push on ones that cover the carbide tips and not the fancy screw in rubber tips that BD hawks on some of their poles. I don't like the screw in ones since they are hard to swap out on trail

I've never had to buy push-on rubber tips because I have a full inventory of them for a wide variety of poles of many makes. All for free. I've been picking them up on the trials and collecting them over the past few decades. 

There's a reason why BD uses screw-on tips on their premium Z-poles. I agree that they're hard to put on and take off. Perhaps that why I've never managed to find one on the trails to replace the worn ones on my poles 😉

...Wanderer

I also would prefer the push-on type for ease of taking them on and off, but that's based on variable terrain where I do change frequently. If your trails are so much rock that you'd never be switching to the carbide tips, then maybe it doesn't matter as much.

0 Likes

Make sure you put 'em on good. I have a collection of lost rubber pole tips that I have found on the trail.

I have the BD poles and I love them. I also have several sets of push on rubber pole tips. I make sure that they are on very tight. I have never lost any tips since I have owned my poles (10 years). One year I hiked almost 2 to 3 times a week in the mountains and the rubber tips held up for over a year before I had to replace them. Hope that helps.

0 Likes