cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Training Time: Saguaro National Park

Wasson Peak is one of my favorites. Good effort, good trails, good views. I'll climb it a couple times a year - cool season only!

20210430_105110.jpg

I climbed it a month and a half ago to check on Spring wildflowers. It's an extreme drought year and it was the fewest numbers of species and individuals I have ever seen in the Tucson mountains. Sad.

20210430_132814.jpg

Saguaros and a few other cactus are beginning to bloom, and I needed some version of springtime flower event to perk me up. We had a cold front pass through and I had my last chance to climb the mountain on a coolish day. Coolish ended up being about 90° on the way down, but with breezes.

20210430_134224.jpgWasson Peak has a handful of trailheads, all with vert and 8+ miles RT. I chose King Canyon TH because of the chance to do a loop, and visit the best petroglyph site in the park.

20210430_164054.jpg

20210430_163951.jpg

Training Time shifts to the Sky Islands next, with the desert mostly breathing hot now.

Going Up?

Labels (2)
3 Replies

@SolaceEasythat is some fantastically beautiful terrain!  I had the opportunity to do a backpacking trip in the superstitions a short while back and absolutely loved it!

Some day I'd like to get up to the arizona trail probably around or north of flagstaff and hike in that forest.

I realize this is a wee bit self indulgent, but here's the vid (sorry)

https://youtu.be/g1VmBM6Z1qQ

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
5 DAYS 4 NIGHTS BACKPACKING SUPERSTITION WILDERNESS. PERALTA TRAIL HEAD. BLUFF SPRINGS, LEBARGE SPRINGS, KANE SPRING, CHARLEBOIS SPRING.

For the Arizona Trail, consider going from Pine to Flagstaff, or head South from Pine through the Mazatzal Mountains, the wildest stretch of the AZT, IMHO. Choose wisely, based on water and temps. Flagstaff North is dry, busier with bikes.

The stretch south of Grand Canyon National Park in the Kaibab National Forest is nice for a couple of days, as is the stretch north of Grand Canyon National Park, in a separate unit of the Kaibab National Forest. No permits required for any of those stretches that I described.

Nice pictures!  I was there on Saturday to hike Tanque Verde Peak and luckily by the time we were descending a nice cloud cover/wind was there to shield up from the hottest part of the day. 

0 Likes