cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Trail runners for hiking - Altra vs Hoka

trying to decide which is better for trail hiking and occasional trail runs Altra timp 2 or Hoka speedgoat any advice on which ones to choose

0 Likes
3 Replies

Hoka's Speedgoats are amazing for hiking, you got a very big comforting cushion

Altra's are a zero drop shoes so if you are not used to a flat shoe they might be uncomfortable at the beginning.

They are both great shoes, but depending on the type of shoes you are used to, the Altras might be uncomfortable for a little while until you get used to them

0 Likes

I hiked half the AT with Altras - was on my 3rd pair.  Switched to Hokas and went 1100 miles on them.  More comfortable too.  Grip on wet rocks was better with my worn down Hokas than my wife's new hiking boots.

0 Likes

Biggest thing is the drop. Altras are zero drops whereas Hokas have a drop. If you're not used to hiking in zero drop shoes and you're not willing to patiently build up to it in them, go with Hokas. But if you are patient and willing to gradually increase your mileage then Altras are amazing. I exclusively hike in Altra Superiors. 

0 Likes