cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Topographic Map of the City of Phoenix, AZ?

Hey everyone,

I plan to teach basic navigation skills to a group of students in a couple of months, and I am trying to locate a good topographic trail map of the city of Phoenix, AZ that contains part of the Phoenix Mountains Preserve that is located within the city of Phoenix.

bryndsharp_0-1615091158085.png

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should look or know of a map of this kind? All of my usual looking places are leaving me empty-handed. 😞

@REI-JenK @REI-JohnJ do you have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

www.brynsharpphotography.com

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
9 Replies

USGS 25:000 topo series?  I imagine that is one of the first places you have checked.  Probably doesn't show recent development, but the topo should be right on.

i took the liberty of whipping out 2 maps, pdf, one 1:12,000 scale and one 1:24,000 scale, with utm coordinate line.

usgs based

here's the link to the map pdf's on my google drive https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1huIQ3UGM8Wr60TObMjRCe8JW8dGbEB5m?usp=sharing

here's the link to the caltopo map i made it from if you want to play with it, i.e. add stuff

https://caltopo.com/m/JC1T

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes

formatted for 11x17 printing

@Philreedshikes thanks so much for doing this! I needed a different section of the reserve, but I should be able to make a PDF of it!

bryndsharp_0-1615147683869.png

Thanks!

Bryn

Sure, stand by...any particular scale?

Not really, but I'm hoping for a PDF that when printed makes it easy for 8-11th graders to practice reading topographic maps; I don't really need too much of the surrounding area, just the mountain itself! @Philreedshikes 

0 Likes

@bryndsharp 

ok, here's the link to the folder with these two(2) maps (pdf)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1huIQ3UGM8Wr60TObMjRCe8JW8dGbEB5m?usp=sharing

I did one in usgs, but the name of the range was smack dab in the middle, so I did another using the mapbuilder topo base layer, which shows great contours and map features also.

both in 1:12,000 scale and saved for printing in 11x17

I hope they're useful.

Thank you so much @Philreedshikes, I really appreciate it!

@Philreedshikes @hikermor wow, y'all were quick! @bryndsharp sorry we weren't helpful but also LOVE seeing the teamwork happen without us!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.