cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Thorn resistant hiking pants suggestions

Hello REI employees! First time questioner here...

I own a pair of the zip off leg REI brand cargo pants. They've served me well--I think they're 15 years old? Anyway, they're about done now...several tears, faded, I think the sun finally got to the nylon. Anyway, I need a new pair. But this time, I'd like something a bit tougher. I got into hunting, so on my scouting trips in Sep and Oct in Illinois, I break a lot of brush and get into god awful thorns. They shredded a really expensive pair of Prahnas...what pants do you recommend? I don't know if I need the zip off into shorts options. I do like the quick drying, active style pants where I can climb around in them.  

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
3 Replies

Hi @hurlbri1 - Thanks for reaching out. It's great to hear that your REI pants worked so well for you for 15 years!

For something that could provide some more protection from those thorns, we suggest the KUHL Radikl Pants. These are designed to be both abrasion resistant and flexible, which will be nice to have on those scouting trips. Though they are not specifically quick-drying pants, the fabric's blend of cotton and synthetics is made to handle those active, outside pursuits. 

Let us know if you have any additional questions or want more suggestions and we'll be happy to help!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thank you! I would’ve totally missed these. Great suggestion.

@hurlbri1 if you haven't considered the Firstlite sawbuck brush pant you should take a look. They are designed for exactly what you describe. At nearly twice the price as the KHUL pants suggested, they aren't cotton so if you get stuck out in any weather you may end up being much happier. 

0 Likes