cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Suggestions for wide, waterproof hiking boots

I need a pair of hiking boots which are waterproof and in a wide size. I also need a lot of cushioning. Do you have a suggestion?

0 Likes
4 Replies

Lowa Renegade GTX Mid Hiking Boots come in wide and narrow sizes. Even the regular width tends to be wide in comparison to other brands. They're light in weight, flexible, waterproof and provide good cushioning. They're great for day hiking and even backpacking on all terrains. I'm currently on my 4th or 5th pair so I speak from experience.

...Wanderer

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

With the exception of mountaineering and winter backpacking, the trend is people switching to trail runners.  I myself was a 'boot person' for MANY years and noticed that hundreds of folks doing thru hikes used trail runners.  So I've tried them, and haven't looked back, for about 4 yrs.  Ankles in tact.

I also own a pair of merrell boots for my winter treks.  To make them water proof I slather on mink-oil or sno-seal, I also have some water proof socks and some neoprene socks for warmth.

Anyhoo...I'm telling you, you cannot buy a more sturdy, better fitting, with the absolute most cushion available on the market than the hoka one one.  I'm using the stenson atr 5 with the "plush" cushioning.  You can get Hoka's at REI or the hoka web site, both allow unquestioned returns within a specified time period, i.e. both will let you take them on a trip and return them if you don't like them. The stenson also has a good-wide toe box.

good luck!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Im loving my Keen Pyrenees. All leather. Waterproof, though I havent test that yet. Great comfort and cushion inside. Aggressive tread for rocks, moss and grasses.... the terrain I encounter here in southcentral Alaska.

@brevardnc thanks for reaching out! For us to be able to provide a few specific hiking boot recommendations, we'd need to know a bit more:

• How will you be using the hiking boots? Day hiking? Extended backpacking? Or some other use?
  • Are you looking at men's or women's boots? Or what length and width typically fit you well?

We look forward to hearing more from you! And, because boot fit is super important, and a bit hard to predict online, we always recommend (when possible) to come into your closest REI store for a fit appointment.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes