cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Show Us Your "Sit Spot" | 'Hikes for Health' Week 1

We're excited to announce 'Hikes for Health', a month-long focus on health, wellness, and spending time outside. Each week includes its own mini-challenge, virtual event, sweepstakes prize, and inspiring special guest - to register and learn more information, click here!

A "sit spot" is somewhere you go in nature to find a sense of peace and security. Yours may be a beautiful view on your daily run, your backyard, or a place to visit when you just need to clear your mind. Whether you already have a place in mind or need to discover one, we encourage you to visit your 'sit spot' and record how it feels to be there.

Share a photo and/or tell us about your sit spot.

H4H1.jpg

Are you ready for Week 2, Week 3, or Week 4?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
Labels (1)
117 Replies

One of my favorite sit spots is in the backyard. I sit out with my family and we watch the neighborhood birds come get a snack at our bird feeder. It's so fun to see all the different types of birds and hear their happy chirps as they fly around. 

I always liked being in the nature, but I really started to hike regularly - at least once every month - after the pandemic began. Solo hiking on a day off during the week is something I especially enjoy. This sit spot is from one of my favorite hikes. It just has the beauty of Western Washington packed in one & the view is so rewarding! I like to take a rice ball like this with me as a snack/lunch. Oyster Dome overlooking Samish BayOyster Dome overlooking Samish Bay

@chizukon love that hike! And those boots!

• F062EF13-028C-445C-9698-4314BD28F274.jpeg

 Anywhere in the Smokys!

I have a few sit spots around the yard but one of my faves is in the hammock next to the garden.  It is peaceful and calming. I love seeing all the birds come in.  

@Beemo Sounds so nice! What have you planted in your garden this year?

0 Likes

IMG_20210518_204219267.jpg

IMG_0252.JPEG

Many of the lakes at our campground have benches to relax and enjoy the wildlife.

Living in the Chicago suburbs while working downtown, I have to have many "sit spots", since it's hard to get deep into the backcountry.  While I work towards trips further afield than an hours' drive away, I have learned to look for nuggets of adventure and serenity wherever I can find it.

For example, there's the scenic overlook at Waterfall Glen in DuPage County, IL on a high bluff near the DesPlaines River (see pic).  There's also a bison viewing station at Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie--23,000 acres of rolling hills and VERY tall grass for as far as I care to look and obligations allow.  And of course, walking along the Chicago River riverwalk can present a quick dip into peace in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the workday.

But some are more like "stand" or "walk" spots.  On the way from the Lemont entrance to the Waterfall Glen overlook, for example, there's the oak savanna that is beautiful to observe at any time of year.  In winter, the hush of the snow covers the grasses and oaks, and I can see tracks of many animals, from the majestic deer to the wee chipmunk.  At other times, I can see the falcons riding the thermals high overhead.  If I can't make it to the overlook, a 20-minute walk through the savanna section of the trail towards that overlook is just as rewarding.

Even my own neighborhood, surrounded by suburban sprawl and multiple 40+ mph arterial roads, I have been able to seek a moment's mental refuge by finding finches and firs, gazing at the oaks and maples, and even finding a great blue heron's secret haunt in a stream through a drainage basin, just a stone's throw from an interstate highway.Waterfall Glen overlook-December 2020.jpg

@PrairieDog - I love Waterfall Glen! It's about 15 minutes from where I live (Naperville) and it's a great place to hike and get some miles in. I thought it was so cool the first time I saw the old nursery for the Lincoln Park Conservatory.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.