cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Show Us Your "Sit Spot" | 'Hikes for Health' Week 1

We're excited to announce 'Hikes for Health', a month-long focus on health, wellness, and spending time outside. Each week includes its own mini-challenge, virtual event, sweepstakes prize, and inspiring special guest - to register and learn more information, click here!

A "sit spot" is somewhere you go in nature to find a sense of peace and security. Yours may be a beautiful view on your daily run, your backyard, or a place to visit when you just need to clear your mind. Whether you already have a place in mind or need to discover one, we encourage you to visit your 'sit spot' and record how it feels to be there.

Share a photo and/or tell us about your sit spot.

H4H1.jpg

Are you ready for Week 2, Week 3, or Week 4?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
Labels (1)
117 Replies

I live on a busy street. Needless to say it’s pretty noisy. In contrast to that is the back of my apt building, where you find a river and a nature walking path. This is where I go to for peace. Where the river and the singing of the birds drown it all out and I can reset. 

65D6268E-2E12-45BD-AD85-14E4DABF5F66.jpeg

78AE0A67-1B24-436E-85AF-21386BA3ADF6.jpeg

My “sit spot” is viewing sunsets wherever I am. 

My favorite local hike is in a forest preserve about 30 minutes from the house. Although it has some beautiful spots, this one, in front of a lake, is my favorite place to stop and reset. I try to hit this trail at least twice a month.

20210513_163809000_iOS.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

91D31011-E4A0-46AE-AF30-887049E68FAA.jpeg

 On the Superior Hiking Trail, my favorite sit spot is on the downed tree just below the falls on the rocky outcrop in Tettegouche SP — can’t beat the view.

My sit spot is under any shade tree. I feel peaceful and as if all is right with the world for that one moment in time.

Sky Meadow VA State ParkSky Meadow VA State Park

1740EDCF-EB49-4DE2-8BDB-1F2E027D0FA9.jpeg

Caballero Canyon is by far my favorite place. There is this outcropping of rocks that is very easy to hike to where you can just sit and see the whole valley below. Although the hike is not difficult and I explore other places to hike whenever I come here it feels like coming home.  

My Sit Spot is my backyardMy Sit Spot is my backyard

My Sit Spot is my backyard, watching nature in action its a very peaceful place in the mornings and in the evening we can watch the sunset.

I could choose from a hundred different locations throughout my travels and adventures in the outdoors.  I could  simply say, "my kayak," or "my first time sitting down after a long river paddle," but the place with the most meaning and sense of love would have to be with my daughter Zoe (aka the Lovely Lady Mae) just hanging out in our backyard.  The way she smiles when she gets outside makes me feel like a kid all over again.  As much as I love seeing her grow and come into her own at this young age, I also greatly look forward to our time together camping and paddling as she gets a little older.  I love you Lady Mae! IMG_1741.jpgIMG_9237.jpgIMG_9815.jpg

Keep Calm and Paddle On

Eagle scout?