cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Show Us Your "Sit Spot" | 'Hikes for Health' Week 1

We're excited to announce 'Hikes for Health', a month-long focus on health, wellness, and spending time outside. Each week includes its own mini-challenge, virtual event, sweepstakes prize, and inspiring special guest - to register and learn more information, click here!

A "sit spot" is somewhere you go in nature to find a sense of peace and security. Yours may be a beautiful view on your daily run, your backyard, or a place to visit when you just need to clear your mind. Whether you already have a place in mind or need to discover one, we encourage you to visit your 'sit spot' and record how it feels to be there.

Share a photo and/or tell us about your sit spot.

H4H1.jpg

Are you ready for Week 2, Week 3, or Week 4?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
Labels (1)
117 Replies

WillametteWillamette

My sit spot is in the backyard with a nice fire. It encourages me to sit still and relax.

AF0A97D3-9132-4426-A78C-F3CEF8228D66.jpeg

 My “sit spot” is simple. The Gunpowder River runs through central Maryland. It’s where I first fell in love with hiking and being outdoors. It’s a simple flat trail along the gunpowder, but has many areas to sit off the trail. It’s not the view of the trees meeting the water, but the sound that I am drawn to. The simple rushing sounds created by water making its way around rocks is my favorite sounds. It’s the language of the river, so I just close my eyes and listen. 

83EF344A-61A0-4AA1-B040-5605330B6682.jpeg

570621B7-523B-44AD-B2E4-33FA5B5E2326.jpeg

My sit spot is in the shade, in my yard, with my dog and a cup of coffee. I enjoy his reactions to the busy birds and squirrels, and the birds reactions to him. 

2021-04-25-082029791.jpg

 My favorite sit spot is at a small park near work. I come here almost every day and am extremely grateful that I have a place to reconnect with nature so close by. 

430AEED1-C909-4A52-9FE1-7E1217033D8D.jpeg

My sit spot is on top of the Castle Rock trail over looking at the whole lake and beautiful sky...Solo Hiking is definitely one of my favorite things.. so peaceful and remind me that you can be happy anywhere anytime...

where is this?

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

Big Bear Lake, CA 

My favorite "sit spot" is at the top of the hill behind my house at sunrise or sun set depending if I need to start the day off on a solid footing or it I need to reset after a long day. Sometimes it's both.

PXL_20210412_123416260.jpg

I, like most of us, have more than one favorite sit spot.  I love to be in the mountains, but that is about a 2.5 hour drive from home.  So more often I go to my front porch to listen to the birds, watch the squirrels, and feel the breeze.  I also love this spot...my hammock in the trees in my yard.  Not a great picture, but you get the idea of just relaxing and being present.  I love looking straight up to the sky and the trees framing that view.

68D9AE73-D10D-425A-AEEF-D28C82407BAB.jpeg