cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Show Us Your "Sit Spot" | 'Hikes for Health' Week 1

We're excited to announce 'Hikes for Health', a month-long focus on health, wellness, and spending time outside. Each week includes its own mini-challenge, virtual event, sweepstakes prize, and inspiring special guest - to register and learn more information, click here!

A "sit spot" is somewhere you go in nature to find a sense of peace and security. Yours may be a beautiful view on your daily run, your backyard, or a place to visit when you just need to clear your mind. Whether you already have a place in mind or need to discover one, we encourage you to visit your 'sit spot' and record how it feels to be there.

Share a photo and/or tell us about your sit spot.

H4H1.jpg

Are you ready for Week 2, Week 3, or Week 4?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
Labels (1)
117 Replies

Santiago Oaks Regional Park is my very favorite place to hike! One of the reasons is this spot. It is an old dam for the 1800s that still runs today. My daily hikes all start here. It gives me such joy and relaxes me to sit on the nearby stump before a long hike. It helps to get my head in the right place, leave my cares behind, and allows me to dwell in the beauty of nature!!! And usually, I get lucky and see ducks, cranes, turtles, and the occasional coyote. What joy that gives me!!!Santiago Oaks Regional ParkSantiago Oaks Regional Park

This is my "sit spot" in my balcony watching hummingbirds drink 

186508247_4253907937966827_7944773942280591719_n.jpg

Mine is in my backyard sitting with my dog on my lap watching and listening to all birds around me. Watching them interact is quite fascinating.

C702C860-1C00-41CC-BAD9-4DE2F15D5574.jpeg

 My favorite sit spot is out on a rock with a river and my pup. This one is out in the Azusa mountains in San Gabriel. My favorite river hike of all time! 

IMG_20210517_114910.jpg

Any summit.

Mt Wrightson from Mt Ian, Santa Rita Mtns, S AZ.

My sit spot is by this tree. I go here on my lunch break nearly every day to relax and hear the birds sing. 

16212837147255532350192598227611.jpg

16212837576887067710429043422965.jpg

 I love looking up at the sky. Looking up helps me to relax and feel secure in the fact that this world is big and anything is possible. 

- Burdy

I love looking up to the sky too!  As a kid I would spend hours laying in the grass looking at the sky and the clouds. 😁

It’s funny, I very rarely look up except to watch a plane fly overhead. I love what you wrote:  “Looking up helps me to relax and feel secure in the fact that this world is big and anything is possible.”  During my lunchtime today I’m going to go lie on the grass in my backyard and just look up. Thank you for this. 

Penner Lake in Tahoe National Forest is one of my favorite sit spots! Its not a super long drive to get there, and just a 4 mile hike, and the I can pop up my hammock, be at peace, and just enjoying the quiet of nature and watch the fish jump!

20191012_143830.jpg