cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Show Us Your boots! | 'Hikes for Health' Week 2

We're excited to announce 'Hikes for Health', a month-long focus on health, wellness, and spending time outside. Each week includes its own mini-challenge, virtual event, sweepstakes prize, and inspiring special guest - to register and learn more information, click here!

The right footwear is often vital for a comfortable and enjoyable trail experience. If hiking boots could talk, we'd hear endless stories of proud thru-hikes, evenings on neighborhood trails, and soggy river crossings. Because they cannot, it more often sounds like "flip, flop, slap, shlop, pitter, patter, zooooom." Luckily, you can speak for them!

Show us your favorite trail footwear in action and tell us a brief story about a moment you shared with them on the trail!

H4H2.jpg

Did you miss Week 1?

Are you ready for Week 3 or Week 4?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
Labels (1)
56 Replies

Darn Tough Socks are the best. I have Smart wool too but I tend to lean to the Darn Tough for warmer weather. Love the fun ones. Bear, nature prints. Etc.

Happy Trails,

Cricket

IMG_6595.jpg

This picture is from a random stop while out on the road.

I'm always driving to a new spot on the weekends and I don't always know the trail conditions or whether I will want to stop somewhere along the way. So, I have started keeping most of my basic gear in a container in the back of my car - just in case.  But my trail shoes... they kinda live there because I don't like to drive in them anyway. I just change into the appropriate footwear when I get there, lol.

Kear,

I love that idea to keep the hiking gear in the car. Totally awesome to be trucking down the road and see a spot to explore and bam you are out there loving the moment. 

Keep on hiking those random hikes! 

You have me joining you on the adventure plan, non plan!💕 Thank you! 

Cricket

#Bettertogether 

My boyfriend and I decided to upgrade our hiking shoes/boots this year and opted to get matching Hoka one one speed goats. I cannot sing their praises enough. These are seriously so comfy and I love that they are water resistant too. Perfect for any day on the trail but the picture below was from our "break our shoes in" hike in Idyllwild, CA.   

IMG_9852.jpg

Jillnadineb_0-1621903046150.jpeg

EzsfLKzWEAICvM_.jpeg

The most recent photo with my Lowa Renegade GTX Mids, on top of Hogback Mountain overlooking Marquette, MI and Lake Superior.

They've taken me on many adventures and are still going strong after 900 miles!

Get outdoors, stay safe, and happy trails!
Todd the Hiker

@Todd_the_Hiker I've heard so much about the amazing natural spaces in Michigan, especially in the UP. What's your recommendation for a must-do hike in your area? I'm also a big fan of the Lowa Renegade, solid boot with lightweight comfort!

@REI-DaveK 

On our most recent trip to the U.P. we day hiked the Dead River Falls trail (photo below) and to the top of Hogback Mountain, both in the Marquette area and both highly recommended as great day hikes.

EznFEJKVEAEf9HJ.jpeg

Just one of the many waterfalls on the Dead River Falls Trail, Marquette, MI.

For bigger adventures, I'd suggest Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.  If you can only do one day hike there, the Chapel Beach - Grand Portal Point (photo below) - Mosquito River loop is a must do in my book; but if you have a chance to do a multi-day trip across the entire lakeshore I recommend that, as well.  Backcountry sites need to be reserved well ahead of time, and the post-labor day time is ideal for both insects and weather.

IMG_20200918_111910_738.jpg

Grand Portal Point, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Munising, MI.

In the western U.P. I'd suggest Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park.  If only a day hike is possible, the Escarpment Trail is spectacular and also has a few backcountry sites with incredible views (photo below).  Longer backpacking loop routes, combining several different trails, are also possible, and recommended if the time and desire are there.  The same comments on reservations and time of year apply here, as well.

EcUvt7hWoAA7QXi.jpeg

Sunset view over Lake of the Clouds from backcountry campsite ES-1, Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, Ontonagon, MI.

Todd the Hiker

@Todd_the_Hiker Looks absolutely stunning! Great pictures, and awesome recommendations. Thanks for sharing all of that 🙂

@REI-DaveK Thanks and you're welcome!  The U.P. is an awesome place and well worth a visit or two or three!

Todd the Hiker
0 Likes