Hi!! Need some advice from fellow hikers/thru-hikers/nature lovers.
Hiking the PCT has been a dream of mine for years and I planned to do it 2020 but had to postpone (financial reasons and, of course, covid-19). I had almost given up on the idea of thru-hiking in 2021, and was looking at the PNT as a good option, but I just saw that the PCTA will issue long-distance permits for 2021 and now I don't know what to do!! Should I still give it a try, even though covid is still very much present and a risk to me and others?? and that I may have to cancel my hike at any time?
(I can't postpone my hike for 2022 because I'm starting a 5-year PhD in September... so it's a bit now or... in 5 years).
Thanks for reading me.
@jorgevalencia If I were you, I'd do it! This will be your last chance to do the trail for a while, it seems, and it's much easier to prevent the spread of covid when you're on the trail and in the middle of nowhere. I have done several backpacking trips since covid began and have been able to social distance both within my party and with others on the trail. Perhaps you could plan to have supplies dropped to you at various locations and forego visiting the towns yourself, if you are worried about picking up the virus. Just a thought. Both trails are great, though, so either way I'm sure you'll have a fantastic experience. And congrats on the PhD program!
@hikermor nailed it - only you can decide.
But, if I were in the same position, I'd be thinking that I don't know what will happen five years from now after I am done my PhD. Maybe I'd be in a position to do the PCT and maybe I wouldn't be. So, adhering to the principle of "I'd rather have memories than dreams", I'd go for it.
I would decide quickly, though. There's a lot of preparation needed if you're going to hit the trail in a couple months.