cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Share Those Trail Signs! | 'Hikes for Health' Week 3

We're excited to announce 'Hikes for Health', a month-long focus on health, wellness, and spending time outside. Each week includes its own mini-challenge, virtual event, sweepstakes prize, and inspiring special guest — to register and learn more information, click here!

Whether it's a long-awaited trek to a place you've never been or meandering around your local parks, trails are the backbone of hikes. During the week of 5/31 - 6/6, take a snapshot of trail signage that gives you the important information to get you safely on your way. Afterwards, consider taking a break from your digital device for the rest of the hike and simply enjoy the beauty your surroundings offer. 

Post a photo of trail signage from your favorite trail and share a fun fact (ie. where it's located, how it helped you, the land management agency behind it, or what native land you're on)

H4H3.jpg

Did you miss Week 1 or Week 2?

Are you ready for Week 4?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
Labels (1)
31 Replies

Not a true trailhead sign but this whole Preserve is my favorite and it deserves recognition. While there is only about 8 miles of hiking trail here, it has some great views and incredible wildflowers. If you want something longer, you can access an adjacent county park from a few different trails. There is also an ADA path from the parking lot around a beautiful meadow that is usually a rainbow of colors in the spring. The Open Space Authority does an incredible job taking care of their preserves and sharing them with the public for all to enjoy. This is my favorite place to hike.Not a true trailhead sign but this whole Preserve is my favorite and it deserves recognition. While there is only about 8 miles of hiking trail here, it has some great views and incredible wildflowers. If you want something longer, you can access an adjacent county park from a few different trails. There is also an ADA path from the parking lot around a beautiful meadow that is usually a rainbow of colors in the spring. The Open Space Authority does an incredible job taking care of their preserves and sharing them with the public for all to enjoy. This is my favorite place to hike.

Here's the McKenzie trail just north of Newman Lake, WA. Nice little trail that encompasses a variety of ecosystems, plus a great view from Turtle Rock.

PXL_20210604_191740786.jpgPXL_20210604_191754201.jpgPXL_20210604_195912664.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20210604_195732874.PORTRAIT.jpg

Oh, and picked up a piece of icky-eeewwww along Turtle Rock. Ugh. 😣

PXL_20210604_200142116.PORTRAIT.jpg

It

PXL_20210605_164403379.jpg

It was a bit hot to hike the trail so I chose to bike on the trail! 

I hiked this pretty massive regional park near where I live. I have hiked there a number of times, but I still seem to get lost at least once each time. Today was no exception - so I had to follow the navigation from AllTrails app on my phone pretty often - couldn't quite tuck the phone away for most of the hike. Local hikers know that there are not many signs at this park & I'm not the only one who's gotten lost.) But I could spot a few less official looking signs that did help me follow the trail. Meet Cutter trail this wayMeet Cutter trail this wayOne of many confusing parts of the park where many trails converge. Someone drew a map on a piece of leather & put it up on a tree! (sorry I can't seem to rotate this photo)One of many confusing parts of the park where many trails converge. Someone drew a map on a piece of leather & put it up on a tree! (sorry I can't seem to rotate this photo)

I've met Cutter. I don't invite him anymore. Don't like DEET. Prefer Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus.

20210606_200204-COLLAGE.jpg

 Point Whitehorn, Blaine, WA

IMG_20210415_100044_716.jpg

IMG_20210607_080110541.jpg

What a wonderful hike today. I love the trails at Santiago Oaks Regional Park. They have hikes for all levels of hikers. This particular trail leads to this wonderful view of the more advanced hikes. I am working towards those trails. I never thought I would be able to make it up this hill to see these advanced trails but here I am. Hiking is my favorite form of recreation I can think of. And of course I need to take my baby girl on the hikes with me!

Beautiful sunrise hike in Los Angeles, CA for Memorial Day weekend. Took the Icehouse Canyon trail up to Mt. Cucamonga. 

PXL_20210530_135125180.jpgPXL_20210530_144254824.jpg

trailpic.jpg

Quick pic of not the trail head, but the diversion just after the trail starts on Jeremy's Run in SNP, Virginia. Great trail, follows a pretty stream the whole time.