cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Share Those Trail Signs! | 'Hikes for Health' Week 3

We're excited to announce 'Hikes for Health', a month-long focus on health, wellness, and spending time outside. Each week includes its own mini-challenge, virtual event, sweepstakes prize, and inspiring special guest — to register and learn more information, click here!

Whether it's a long-awaited trek to a place you've never been or meandering around your local parks, trails are the backbone of hikes. During the week of 5/31 - 6/6, take a snapshot of trail signage that gives you the important information to get you safely on your way. Afterwards, consider taking a break from your digital device for the rest of the hike and simply enjoy the beauty your surroundings offer. 

Post a photo of trail signage from your favorite trail and share a fun fact (ie. where it's located, how it helped you, the land management agency behind it, or what native land you're on)

H4H3.jpg

Did you miss Week 1 or Week 2?

Are you ready for Week 4?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
Labels (1)
31 Replies

20200812_180459_HDR.jpg

Spooner Summit, Lake Tahoe Nevada State Park. Looping from the Tahoe Rim Trail back through North Canyon Trail, open to Mountain Bikes.

My visage reflects acceptance of who I am, not 'tude towards bikers, as I have ridden (and skied XC) the closed road.

9E47DBF9-6653-4AB9-AEB6-F1C745EE6A25.jpeg

 Pinckney/Waterloo loop!

From East to West, the beginning, middle(ish), and end of our 42 mile trip on the North Country Trail across Picture Rocks National Lakeshore.

I know there are no trail signs in the Grand Portal Point photos, but Pictured Rocks without a view of Lake Superior and Grand Portal Point just seems incomplete!

Starting Point at Grand Sable Visitor CenterStarting Point at Grand Sable Visitor CenterView of Grand Portal PointView of Grand Portal PointStanding on Grand Portal PointStanding on Grand Portal PointFinishing Point at Munising Falls Vistor CenterFinishing Point at Munising Falls Vistor Center

Get outdoors, stay safe, and happy trails!
Todd the Hiker

Skimming through my pictures really quickly, I notice that I don't really take a lot of pictures of trail signs.  Here are a few from my hikes on the AT, though, and an unrelated bonus:

IM000011.JPG

Where the Boulevard Trail splits off the AT shortly after Newfound Gap in the Smokies.  The Jumpoff is just a short distance from here.  One of my more fun hikes on the trail.  It only rained once!

IM000044.JPG

The Garenflow Gap sign, taken when I made up some trail I had to skip when I lost the soles of both boots, had to backtrack and skip around to Hot Spring.  (The story of that is in another thread) 

IM000009.JPG

The metal sign at Doll Flats, where the Trail splits off from North Carolina into Tennessee. I was southbound on this trip, and camped near the summit of Hump Mountain.  It was blowing up a gale up there!  I set up my tarp in the lee side of a tall rock outcropping just short of the campsite on top, but still got buffeted enough that one stake got pulled out of the ground and woke me up flapping in the wind.  Never did find that stake.  Might be in the next county.  Got some nice night views, though, while making a makeshift tie-down.

Now these aren't trail signs.  They're pictures of some nice stuff found in a trail shelter log.  I include them just because they're fun!

Vacation 7.03 008.jpg

The infamous song Pack With No Frame, by Stone Raven, With Apologies to America!

Vacation 7.03 007.jpg

And to finish, a cartoon of the journey of the Rock's Ridge Runners up to the fire tower on Albert Mountain, and what they found there!

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

My favorite local park frequently adds new trails so they provide updated printed maps instead to keep hikers from getting lost on the multiple loops. It’s on Seminole land and trails are maintained by the county parks and rec department. 

5C689EF3-B662-4FCF-9833-E458CA56106E.jpeg

D090C5D1-7B62-448B-82C1-94FA6F1142DB.jpeg

Here is one of the trail markers from my favorite local day hike locations. It's one of two moraines in the Midwest and a large portion of it is a shared path with mountain bikers. It's a lot of fun and a beautiful location.

sign.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

These are 3 trail names for a system at Lapham Peak State park in SE Wisconsin which is a favorite early and late season spot for me.  A beautiful setup of rolling 300' hills and one of the only cross country trails systems with man mad snow to supplement any sub-par winter.   There is another that I don't have a picture of called "Gut Buster" (because it is all uphill).  I think the least creative was "Steep Hill", I think the dude naming them ran out of ideas by that point.  These are hiking trails once the snow melts, but more fun in my opinion with snow.

IMG_3454.jpg

IMG_3455.jpg

IMG_3458.jpg

   

A different kind of trail sign in Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park...

I think someone else passed this way before us!

EFfJ0m2WwAA9ss_.jpeg

Get outdoors, stay safe, and happy trails!
Todd the Hiker

The Westerham Walking Path in Westerham, England.  One of my best mates lives in Westerham, which is in the Kent district of SE England.  This is your quintessential English village with thatched roofs and amazing people.  This is also the home town of Winston Churchill I believe.  They have wonderfully marked and maintained hiking paths around the village that allow you to have a self-guided tour of the history of the area.  I fell in love with this village and almost didn't come home.  The real prize for me was the "Tower Woods" Trail, which culminated in a mysterious tour of the ancient tower in the woods.  The tower itself is shrouded in mystery with some even saying Anne Boleyn had, at one point, hid out in this very tower.  Others suggest it was the pet project of a former eccentric local.  

Westerham Hiking Path.jpgTower Woods.jpg

Keep Calm and Paddle On