cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Sewing repair for merino base layers

I have a couple Odlo merino wool base layer tops, and I noticed one of them has a couple little holes. I haven’t worn it since I spotted them, because I want to stop them from getting any bigger. Any tips/advice for patching these i.e. best thread, best stitch, etc.?

Thanks all

Labels (2)
3 Replies

Wish I did. I've had the same problem on a few different merino base layers.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Right there with you @andr3w1sh & @TomIrvine .  In my case, it's REI Coop merino t-shirts.  One concern I have over using an improper, or amateurish repair method is that it could create a source of skin irritation on the shirts.

0 Likes

Come to think of it, I have had some success repairing holes in wool sweaters. One of 'em you can't even tell, and I'm no expert with the needle and yarn. I got my advice from browsing YouTube videos. 

Anyway, I bet I could use the same technique on merino wool, just use lighter yarn. Basically you just work from the strong, undamaged part of the knit and criss-cross the hole. Some magnification would probably be handy for something like a light base-layer knit. Worth a try.

0 Likes