cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Sandals with toe loop did this to my toe.

I even ordered a larger size and did the inserted instructions on loosening the toe loop! 

A2E2A5BB-8CDF-4D5D-B580-3EAC7D85151A.jpeg

 so I am returning the sandals tomorrow. Very disappointed! 

0 Likes
4 Replies

@Med Thanks for reaching out, we're sorry you had this issue with your toe loop on your sandals.

Sometimes this issue occurs with toe loops on Chacos because the strap comes with a light wax on it (to make it easier to move the straps through the body of the sandal during the initial adjustment) right out of the box. Over time the wax breaks down and the strap stays put. However, before that happens, the strap can slide and move while you're walking, resulting in issues such as yours. Believe it or not there are actually a couple of names for it: 'Chaco Creep' or 'toe strangulation'!

If you think that might be the cause, the best way to accelerate the break-in period for your sandals is to get them dirty or sandy. You can even work the straps back and for to help the grit rub the wax off of the strap. Often times a walk on the beach or on a dusty trail can do the trick as well.

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@Med again, so sorry to hear (and see) what happened to your toe. Although we'd totally understand your decision to return your sandals, in addition to what @REI-JohnJ mentioned, most folks we talk to find that their feet need a "break-in" period with new sandals. Because the materials are really durable, for some feet they can take some time to soften up - often arches, heels, and toes can feel sore for the first few days in the sandals as our "winter" feet toughen up a bit and form tougher skin/callouses. Sometimes, if you're out for a while and your toes start getting red from the strap, you can pull the material flat under your big toe and tighten elsewhere, just to give the toe a break from the strap.

Regardless, the toe strap style definitely isn't "for" everyone. (I, personally, prefer the no-toe-strap style and am currently in the process of toughening my feet back up after several long winter months!)

0 Likes

Jon and Jen, my physician assistant is telling me what happened to my toes is beyond what you are referring to as a “break in” period. I’ve had to be on antibiotics, pain killers, ibuprofen, etc. NOT a good experience. The PA calls me daily to check in with me. Toes still haven’t fully healed. Returning your sandals for full credit. Not even interested in trying your no loop sandals. Can’t even wear ANY shoes right now. Thinking of a lawsuit. 

0 Likes

@Med thanks for the update and we hope your toes are able to heal very soon. We made an assumption you were wearing Chacos but realize that you never actually specified which brand sandals you were wearing. If you'd be willing to provide us with the brand, we'd be happy to pass your feedback along to them.

0 Likes