cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Restless Hiker/Runner Post-Op - Recommendations for Passing Time?

Hey there,

So I'm 27 and I just had hip surgery (torn hip labrum from overuse and poor bone structure).  I'm not even 2 weeks post-op and I am absolutely going crazy. I probably won't be able to hike the for 3-4 months. Any recommendations on what to do in the meantime? I can't stop thinking about hiking. I'd love to maybe take some online backpacking/hiking/nutrition/map skills courses. Any recommendations are welcome! I am feeling so restless and like I'm just wasting time (although clearly its time I need to heal for future adventures). I'd like to accomplish something during this downtime. Thanks!

8 Replies

Pay close attention to your doctor/physical therapist's advice and lay the groundwork for future activity.  weight training might be in order.  Lots of good references out there to help you with outdoor skills, especially the guide Mountaineering:  Freedom of the Hills

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

I've got a GREAT idea, surf on over to my youtube channel and check out some of the backpacking scenery! (shameless plug!!)

Iceland, the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone area of the Teton Wilderness, the John Muir trail!

sit back, relax and heal!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

@LittleRed 

Thanks for the question!

Being inactive, particularly if you’re used to getting out a lot, can be really challenging. Personally, I really enjoy reading adventure stories. We’ve had a few great threads about this topic, including this recent one posted by @agraciouspearlInspired by Nature/Science/Travel books

Additionally, I’m a firm believer that dreaming, scheming, preparing and planning are all part of the adventure. So if I find myself unable to get outside, I like to look at maps, plan adventures, and organize, clean, and sort my gear. It helps me stay connected and involved in my favorite activities even when I can’t get out and participate.

Best of luck in your recovery!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@LittleRed 

I can also vouch for @Philreedshikes’ youtube channel. It’s pretty great!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Unfortunately, I can speak from post-op experience (x3).  And I'm currently waiting for an MRI to see if I need another.  A mule plowed me over last week on Bright Angel Trail in the Grand Canyon.  

DO NOT try to recover too quickly.  Do exactly what the PT says.  Sets, reps, times a week, ice, etc.  

It is a good time to learn meditation and practice patience, something our society doesn't value much, it seems.  Allow yourself to heal.  You're young and proper healing can assure you of many more years of adventures.  

Read.  Read some more.  

Be.  Do will come in due time.

Good luck to you.

0 Likes

https://glacier.org/glacier-book-club/

Lots of good advice from other members. I didn’t start hiking until I was in my 50’s. I get the desire to be outside. We watched a lot of YouTube hikes this summer because the smoke was so bad.

Just like the mountains, there are lots of ups and downs in life. 
Happy healing. 

"Just like the mountains, there are lots of ups and downs in life."  - spoken with straight tongue!! 

0 Likes

Great book suggestions!  I'm going to see if my local library has any of them.

0 Likes