cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Recommendation for a Daypack with hydration system.

Hi - 

I'm looking for a recommendation for a 2.5 - 5 liter day pack with hydration. I was looking at CamelBak but saw way too many negative reviews about them. 

I'm looking to use this for light day hiking, snacks and a first aid kit...

Thanks!

0 Likes
4 Replies

@Darryl Thanks for reaching out!

We have several good options for hydration day packs that should meet your needs. Here are a few:

Some of these might be a little big in terms of the pack itself, however, if you're looking to carry 3+ liters of water you will appreciate the structure of the bigger pack. Some of these do come in a smaller version, but it is good to bear in mind that the hydration bladder also gets smaller.

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Would these daypacks be able to handle 15 - 20 pounds of weight for rucking? If not, would you have other recommendations? 

0 Likes

@Cheryl_M if those packs fit you well, they can accommodate 15-20lbs (depending a little on the bulk of what you're carrying to get to that weight).

For the original member, having a hydration system included was important so all of the packs we suggested include the hydration bladder - is that also important to you? If not, there are other packs you might consider for rucking. Further, the packs we suggested above will be men's/unisex sizing and will have similar options using a women's specific fit:

We hope this helps; let us know if you have additional questions!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

By "2.5 - 5 liter" do you mean the bladder capacity or the volume of the pack in general?

I've had an Osprey Raptor 10 for about 8 years now. It works well as a mountain-bike pack and a light day-hike pack. I also use it for winter runs when I want to add or shed layers of warmth. It rides close to the body without a lot of bounce, so I like it for that. It came with a 3 liter reservoir for hydration, which I always assumed was part of the 10 liter total (?). My wife has a larger version of the same pack.

I have soaked the thing in sweat and dust many times and rinsed it clean. It has held up well under my abuse.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.