cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Plant based diet hiking snacks (Vegetarian/Vegan)

On my last hiking trip I met a couple that had moved towards a plant based diet for health reasons. I don't know much about it but it peaked my interest and I missed the opportunity to see what they were eating for their snack/lunch. What are some options besides fresh fruit/vegetables?

4 Replies

Peeant butter and jelly sandwich or some variant thereof??  I like almond butter personally.  Actally it is hard to beat apples, grapes, and bananas.  There are also some processed snacks which claim to be organic....

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

My wife is vegetarian, so we go to the local REI to make it easier. You can see on the meals there is little emblems telling which meal is compatible.

also in the REI app you can refine your search with vegan, vegetarian etc.

86EA0033-95D0-4703-9682-D964C43CB919.png

Sometimes you want to bite into something a bit more "meaty" and, for those times, look to fruit leather. 

Hmmm.... I have an idea....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

If you think about it, a majority of snacks and lunch items that aren't cooled are vegetarian and/or vegan. You have snacks like dried fruits, nut butters, and trail mix (leave out honey and chocolate chips to veganize), energy bars like Clif and Larabars are all vegan, PBJ or grilled veggie sandwiches, grain bowls like rice or couscous, even Oreo cookies are vegan. These days there are plenty of vegan alternatives to normal foods to make the transition easier, including jerky. It's still not as good as the real thing, but it's edible.