cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Osprey day hiking pack recommendation: Sirrus or Mira?

In looking at getting a new Osprey pack for hiking, I have narrowed my choices down to two. The Sirrus 24 and the Mira 22. I am coming out of using a Mira from 2014, so I am used to the Mira but mine is too small for all that I want to carry. It doesn't have room for layers like jackets. I am disappointed that the hydration reservoir is not included nor is the magnet to hold the tube in place. My original pack included both. I am 5'10 and weigh 150 and I hike in the the Phoenix, Arizona area during the winter months. I usually go 5-8 miles on a day trip. I have watched the videos at looked at the details on each pack and I can't decide. I would love to go to the store for a fitting but alas, it is not open yet. Please advise on which you think would be a better fit for me. Thank you!

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

@Sjarvie I have the Osprey Sirrus 24, and I love it. I like having all the different pockets on it. I don’t use a hydration pack, though, so I’m not sure if you lose space once a hydration pack is put in. I use Nalgene bottles with tubing attached so I can drink without taking off the pack. I’m only 5’2” though, and with the pack extended as far as it will go, the hip belt barely comes down to my hips. If there is a way you can wait to try it on, that might be best. I find the pack really comfortable for day hikes about the same mileage as you’re doing. 

@Sjarvie 

I know you said you have narrowed it down already to the Sirrus and Mira, but have you looked at the Skarab/Skimmer series? They have the hydration reservoir you are looking for and the magnetic tube holder. They also have 2 trekking pole loops and a Styrofoam back pad that is removable. I love this pack. The only down side is that they don't have hip belt pockets. I highly recommend the Skarab 22.

Nick 

5 Replies

@Sjarvie I have the Osprey Sirrus 24, and I love it. I like having all the different pockets on it. I don’t use a hydration pack, though, so I’m not sure if you lose space once a hydration pack is put in. I use Nalgene bottles with tubing attached so I can drink without taking off the pack. I’m only 5’2” though, and with the pack extended as far as it will go, the hip belt barely comes down to my hips. If there is a way you can wait to try it on, that might be best. I find the pack really comfortable for day hikes about the same mileage as you’re doing. 

Thank you for your suggestion. I hope the store will open soon so I can check it out in person. 

0 Likes

@Sjarvie 

I know you said you have narrowed it down already to the Sirrus and Mira, but have you looked at the Skarab/Skimmer series? They have the hydration reservoir you are looking for and the magnetic tube holder. They also have 2 trekking pole loops and a Styrofoam back pad that is removable. I love this pack. The only down side is that they don't have hip belt pockets. I highly recommend the Skarab 22.

Nick 

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll check it out!

0 Likes

I have a Sirrus 24 and really like it but even with the 24 I find it doesn't fit THAT much and that is using water bottles in the side pockets rather than the hydration reservoir. When I have a jacket I usually use the top straps to strap it on top of the pack rather than try and cramp it in the pack itself.