cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Nope. Hard Pass!

Almost all of us (I'm sure) have our bucket list hikes - the trails that we may only dream about doing or are planning but know it's a once-in-a-lifetime trek.

Yeah, this post isn't about those. It's about the other ones. I've now been watching two separate YouTube channels where people have done the Florida Trail. Walking - AND CAMPING - through swamps infested with alligators and water moccasins and other creatures is not something I ever desire to do.

The Florida Trail is number one on my personal "Nope. Hard Pass!" list. Looks beautiful but with my fear of snakes and such... Ain't. Ever. Gonna. Happen.

So, which trail is on YOUR "Nope. Hard Pass!" list?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
24 Replies

AMEN, Dad! Funny thing, I was just watching Dixie's videos last night of her trek on the Florida Trail and thinking the very same thing. Nope! Nope! Nope! 😂🤣

------------------------------------
Go outside and play, kids!

Florida trail is to much road walking for me...I tend to go where the nature is ...not the blacktop 🙂 

Although it's much easier to spot the dangerous critters when they're on the blacktop 🙂 

But, I agree, even when the trail is close to the road for me to hear the traffic, I get bummed out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Everest...cost of a nice car, no air to breathe, a few frozen climbers for company. No thanks. I took a bus most of the way up Cotopaxi in Ecuador (16,000 ft) and the little bit left was hard due to the lack of O2. No, the coca candies did not help. Oxygen is nice. But, the view was tremendous and we got to mountain bike (or gravitational deathcycle) down and what a blast that was.

This may be too generic an answer, but anything in serious Grizzly territory is an immediate “nope!” from me.  I know there are ways to mitigate the risk in bear country... but sheesh those bears are BIG.  No thanks! 

... she said, dubiously.
0 Likes