cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Membership now as great as the outdoors!
Already a member? Take a look at the Co-op Members section of the community.
Ready to join? Explore all of the benefits here.

Nope. Hard Pass!

Almost all of us (I'm sure) have our bucket list hikes - the trails that we may only dream about doing or are planning but know it's a once-in-a-lifetime trek.

Yeah, this post isn't about those. It's about the other ones. I've now been watching two separate YouTube channels where people have done the Florida Trail. Walking - AND CAMPING - through swamps infested with alligators and water moccasins and other creatures is not something I ever desire to do.

The Florida Trail is number one on my personal "Nope. Hard Pass!" list. Looks beautiful but with my fear of snakes and such... Ain't. Ever. Gonna. Happen.

So, which trail is on YOUR "Nope. Hard Pass!" list?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
24 Replies

And no mention of the wet rock covered in moss and other slippery goo!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

What really makes the Mt Hua Shan a hard pass for me is the conga line on it.

In fact there are hiking clubs around here. You can usually hear them before you see them. Nothing seems to deflate the peace of the woods more than one of those chatty mobs.

Hard pass.

Yep, alligator swamps is a pass, as is the crowded plank walk. I could go up the Harihar stairs, but down looks rough. My hard pass is spelunking in tight squeeze caves. Feeling like you are stuck underground in the pitch black? Not fun. I did it once, and I'm fine thanks, that's enough. 

Everest has been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember.  I knew the danger and the cost but standing at the top of the world somehow seemed worth it.  When I had kids though, literally all of a sudden, that cost / benefit changed.  Would still love to see Katmandu, the hike to base camp, the little villages along the way and Everest towering overhead but the desire to trek through (or even to) the dead zone to the summit has flipped from near obsession to hard pass.

@nathanu 

I 100% feel you on this! My wife and I climbed all of the Cascade volcanoes together but, now that we have kids, we are finding ourselves faced with balancing whether putting both of ourselves at risk is worth it. It hasn't come down to decision making time yet, but it will definitely change how we think about our adventures.

Lastly, you couldn't pay me enough money to go into the Khumbu Icefall; I'd love to get to base camp and look at it one day, but that will be close enough!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

For years I lusted for Alaska. Then I found out more about it from people I trusted. Bears eat people there. The mosquito is the state bird of Alaska. When it's not raining it's windy. Oh, you should have been here last week, you could have seen the mountain then.

Having cut my teeth in the Sierras I am spoiled by mostly good weather when I am backpacking. I have been into other climates but I am definitely a fair weather hiker who prefers not to be eaten by any kind of animal, micro or macro.

@Former community member I've never had a chance to get into the backcountry in Alaska but did have the good fortune to spend a good bit of time there a few years ago on a work project and got to spend time there in each part of the year (in GA, we call them seasons, not sure that's appropriate for Alaska).  At any rate, if I ever get the chance to go back, I'll do it in a heartbeat, it's some of the most beautiful country that I've seen (and that's just what  I was able to see through glass).  A friend of mine (the guy that was my 'handler' while I was there) works on the radio towers between the cities and spends a lot of time in helicopters and has sent me a good bit of footage from that perspective.  Absolutely incredible country.  And, they have a restaurant called the Moose's Tooth that's almost worth the flight all by itself 🙂

So many mountains, so little time.

hehehe ! that was good. I went to Alaska in 2019 and I suppose I fell into the shoulda been here last week category, the weather was great.

I would take alligators over Mt. Everest. I have heard that some people went up, and never came back down. And you have to walk by them on the way up. That's a NOPE from me. 

If anyone is ever interested in a spooky, sad, or slightly terrifying piece of information, look up green boots Mt. Everest.