cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

New Garmin Instinct Solar - Tips Appreciated

I am a new owner of a Garmin Instinct Solar and it's the first fitness watch I've owned.  I've watched a variety of YouTube videos but still seeking some basic guidance/tips on setting things up.  If anyone has some helpful suggestions as a user of this watch, it would be most appreciated.  

I'm figuring out how to mess with widgets, get the things I want to see most where I want them.  How to use the watch versus the mobile app versus the website - which does what.

My mobile is Android, my computer PC, I'm very tech savvy.  I prefer to work on computer platform if that's available.

My use/purpose for the watch is to track hikes, cardio and sleep.  And by tracking hikes, I mean getting my mileage, elevation and route/track captured.

Thanks to everyone who can help me out!

Gillian

Labels (2)
12 Replies

The charging port on your Instinct is the same as my Fenix 5x. There will come a day when it will not charge no matter what you plug it into. Simply get an alcohol swab and very thoroughly clean the contacts on both the watch and the charging cable. The back of the watch contacts get gunked up by sweat and dirt getting under it and even though it looks clean, it is not...trust me. Good luck and enjoy.

0 Likes

There is also an issue with the design of the Instinct that affects some users. There's a couple of holes in bottom of the case for the barometer. These holes can get clogged with sweat, dead skin, etc. causing barometer (and thus altitude) readings to get wonky. Make sure those openings are clear.

Other Garmin watches have these holes on the side of the case where they're less susceptible to this issue.

Re charging the cable that comes with the Instinct is rather short. There's a much better cable and charger pad available from Amazon. EZCO Charger Dock and Cable

...Wanderer

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

@Gillian 

Sorry for all the posts. I'm adding stuff as I think of it 😉

My mobile is Android, my computer PC, I'm very tech savvy.  I prefer to work on computer platform if that's available.

The Connect app comes in both a mobile and desktop version. I use both because each has its unique features. Also I find that sometimes it's easier to change settings from the app rather than one the watch, e.g. setting an alarm.

You will also want to get the Garmin Express app on your desktop for stuff like updating firmware and backing up the data in the Instinct.

Finally have a look at the Health Sync app. It synchronizes data between the Instinct and other fitness apps like Google Fit, Strava, et al.

...Wanderer

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes