cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

New England Hiking - suggestions for Delaware or Rhode Island?

Howdy!

I am one of the many coming up to see the fall in New England and getting things planned out. Wanting to hit all 50 states but not seeing anything too interesting in Delaware or Rhode Island.

What's good to hike in these states?

0 Likes
3 Replies

Hi @Former community member .  I live in Maryland, next door to Delaware.  And, not to disrespect the state, it's rather flat, so there's not much of interest for hiking that I'm aware of.  They do have some wonderful beach communities, other waterways for kayaking, and several bicycling trails if any of those appeals to you.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I went to high school in Lewes, Delaware, long ago. Lower DE  is mostly a flat and agricultural state, but if you like coastal hikes, Cape Henlopen state park has some decent trails. They aren't heavily populated, even in summer, because everyone heads to the beach.  Bug spray is recommended in hot months for the sand flies and evening mosquitos!  After reading your post, I myself was curious as to what Delaware offered, and came across this site: 

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/delaware/hiking-spots-de/

Enjoy your planning and trip!

0 Likes

Hello,

Rhode Island resident here.  If you're looking for something with a high point of view it's a little tougher to find.  Some of my favorites without a view are located in Arcadia.  Ben Utter Trail starting from Austin Farm Road is popular (if you prefer longer start from Escoheag Trail).  Wickaboxet is nice as well in the fall.

0 Likes