cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
REI is actively reviewing its policies and procedures per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's new guidance for COVID-19.
As we have since the start of the pandemic, we’ll continue to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, customers and communities.

Men in the Outdoors

A place for men to chat about male-specific issues in the outdoors.

Any tips on keeping a 5 o' clock shadow?

Ever get strange looks from moms when you're just casually prepping for a hike at the trailhead?

Dingleberry issues?

and more.

22 Replies

Best zip-offs on the market? or do you roll em?

0 Likes

I love Prana Stretch Zions.  Not zip off, but has snaps for rolling up.  Most comfortable pants I’ve ever had.  I bought 4 pairs just in case they stop making them!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

I love Prana Stretch! I recently tried a zip off from Kuhl, but my quads are so thick the zippers can be uncomfortable when I sit. I like the versatility of zip-offs. does roll and snap work well for ya on hot days?

0 Likes

I actually like zipoffs, but I have a really short inseam and rarely find them short enough.  It’s expensive to alter them when there’s a side zip to get the legs off over boots, which is pointless without.  I use the Zions for colder mornings and roll when it warms up.  It really is amazing how much difference it makes.  But if it’s over 40° or so I’ll just wear shorts for the whole hike.  I really like to stay cool, though.  Hot days here are low 80’s with low humidity - and that’s at the lower elevations (8000’).  I’ve often been over 13,000’ in shorts and 30s.  I summited Mt. Antero (14,269’) in shorts once in a snowstorm.  That actually was pretty stupid.  I had winter clothes in my pack but never put them on.

You're thinking about the hem all wrong. as a fellow shorter-dude I can sympathize with your frustration. the corporate world cares little about clothing for short men.

For zip offs, hem the removeable part at the TOP just below the zipper. This area is less tapered and doesn't have zippers, etc. I am not super talented with the sewing machine, but this is an alteration I've been able to master- with YEARS of bringing pants up.

prAna has a 28' inseam for most of their styles, I haven't found other brands to be as accommodating. 

0 Likes

I live in those! Wear 'em to work (teaching) even.

I never found the snaps to be all that important, though. You can roll any pants and they'll stay without snaps.

0 Likes

I wore them for teaching, too!  Loved them too much to hike in them for a while.  

Has anyone tried a hiking kilt? I've been told they help with sweat, but I would think they would impede mobility on rock scrambles. Personally I just make sure I have pants with air vents between my thighs- it gets wet down there but its manageable. 

If skirts/kilts had great advantages I would think women would be adapting to them faster than men, but I'm not really seeing a quick transition to this trend. Maybe it's more of statement?

0 Likes

I’ve thought about wearing one but just haven’t made the purchase.  Lederhosen, though, are a no go even if they are part of my German heritage!  😀

0 Likes

I have a friend who golf's in a kilt, but said he would never, ever hike in one due to the possibility of snagging on rocks or small branches.  He also said they are usually quite warm.  I get where he is coming from though, I will wear shorts if it is snowing in some situations, but never consider removing the long sleeves.  Leg hair is a good insulator. 

I tell you those Prana stretch Zion's are amazing for work now that it is getting warmer.  The price tag had me unsure, but so far well worth it.  Thanks for the suggestion @johnt @TomIrvine @speakingquitefrankly !