cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Men in the Outdoors

A place for men to chat about male-specific issues in the outdoors.

Any tips on keeping a 5 o' clock shadow?

Ever get strange looks from moms when you're just casually prepping for a hike at the trailhead?

Dingleberry issues?

and more.

22 Replies

I try to avoid the the shadow by bringing an electric razor.  Batteries will last for most trips.  I just don't like the scruff and also don't like trying to apply sunscreen on a slightly bearded face.

I tend to eat too many cliff bars for day trips and end up worrying about actually ever using a toilet again.  Stay hydrated and bring TP!

The strange looks will happen, especially when the trailhead is a frequent tourist or family spot.  Most will hike the 1 or 2 mile loops, but not continue to the deeper trails.  Anyone with a full pack gets the odd look.

Proper underwear is key to any good outing as a dude.  Supportive merino or bamboo boxer briefs prevent the chafe and the smell.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

One of my long time backpacking companions gets problems with ingrown hairs on his face. He carries an electric razor with him in the wilderness. We always give him a hard time about breaking the rules on having a motor in the wilderness.

And one more thing -

Silver threads in your briefs.

0 Likes

Dude!

'Nuff said, if it's just the guys...

I’ve had a beard since May 19, 1975.  Haven’t had a 5:00 shadow issue since!

Bidet in a bottle.  Refreshing at 30°.

hold up. tell me about this bidet!?

0 Likes

Andrew Skurka has a great video explaining the technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2x-G7sXVs4

How should you really poop in the woods when backpacking and camping? SD ambassador and guide Andrew Skurka explains the textbook methods as well as some mor...

I was afraid to watch that but it was actually quite informative 🙂

0 Likes

30 C?

0 Likes