cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for recommendations of clothing for hiking.

Hi there,

I'm looking for the following:

1. socks for hiking, that very comfortable and dry fast.

2. sock for hiking in cold weather, like thermo socks. (32 farenheit)

3. t-shirt long-sleev, fast dry 

4. t-shirt long-sleev, thermo for hiking in cold weather (32 farenheit), fast dry

5. second layer protection sweater, light, for hiking in cold weather (32 farenheit)

thank you!

33 Replies

You can't go wrong with Smart Wool or Darn Tough socks! They're pricey but I've had a few pairs of both brands for 15+ years and they've all retained shape, softness, and cushion, and while they don't smell fantastic after multiple wears without washing, they also don't smell like, well, dirty socks. For fast-dry shirts Columbia makes some that are soft and fit well but are less expensive than a lot of other outdoor brands - but you can also get a running shirt from Target for half the price and in my experience those hold up just as well; they're just heavier and not as soft. Happy hiking! 

Sock liners are wonderful. 👍

0 Likes

For clothing:

I have multiple Columbia button shirts for hiking [ with SPF], and my new favorite is a long-sleeved Sun shirt. It's great to not have to remember to apply sunscreen all day long, and still maintain critical sun protection. Layering is the best way that I handle temperature changes and to keep pack weight low. I take 1 sun shirt [Columbia], 1 long sleeve button shirt [Columbia], 1 lightweight fleece [tag cut off, got on Ebay], 1 down puffy coat [Amazon brand], 1 rain jacket with pit zips [REI]. All of these can wick moisture and be layered as needed. I sleep in a "32 Degree" Brand lightweight thermal shirt + leggings set I bought at Costco for a steal many years ago. I keep that inside my sleeping bag so it stays clean and dry. However, if it ever got terribly cold in the day, I could layer those under my other layers.

I highly recommend the "32 Degree" brand clothing. It wicks moisture, is lightweight & very durable. Costco often has great deals on it.

Happy Hiking!

------------------------------------
Go outside and play, kids!

<content removed by moderator>  Geographic location?Tell us about you. 

0 Likes