cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for recommendations of clothing for hiking.

Hi there,

I'm looking for the following:

1. socks for hiking, that very comfortable and dry fast.

2. sock for hiking in cold weather, like thermo socks. (32 farenheit)

3. t-shirt long-sleev, fast dry 

4. t-shirt long-sleev, thermo for hiking in cold weather (32 farenheit), fast dry

5. second layer protection sweater, light, for hiking in cold weather (32 farenheit)

thank you!

33 Replies

Hello! For socks I have loved Darn Tough! They come in different thicknesses for different activities. I’ve gone camping and hiking with them and love them. My feet don’t stink after a day of hiking either! Plus Darn Tough has a lifetime guarantee so I know I’ll always have a good set of hiking (or even daily) socks!

0 Likes

First, I'm a big believer in dressing in layers.  As your activity level increases, so will your heat output, and therefore, you will need to reduce your insulation to prevent sweating and there for overcooling once you stop. Like someone else said, when you break or end your hike, you'll feel it.

Socks.  I've started wearing the toe sock liners Injinji Run Lightweight

I cover those with wool socks.  In the event blisters do form, I carry duct tape.  Crazy, right? I thought so too the first time I heard it, but it does work if you catch it quick enough.

Underwear, I wear dry wicking underwear. 

Shirts. I wear short sleeve t-shirts, cool wicking, as a base layer, a fleece jacket, and when too cool for that setup, a thin rain jacket over that.  The rain jacket keeps out the wind as well as the rain.

I wear zip off leg hiking pants, and boots with gaiters.  If the brush is high, I'll wear knee length gaiters. If the trail is barren, then I'll wear low gaiters.

Use walking sticks as your arms will add thrust to your steps, and keep you balanced.  If crossing streams, you may want to carry other shoes to cross in, then boot back up. be sure to undo waist belts and chest binders and loosen your shoulder straps before crossing just in case you slip.  

A lot of my gear I've had for a while, so I don't have name brands to share.  

0 Likes

A big thing with socks is that they are very dependent on the shoes or boots that are being used for hiking.  Due to one bum ankle, I wear a heavy leather set of boots when hiking over rough trails or terrain.  Under these I wear a pair of polypropylene double layer socks that were sold under the brand name "Blister Resistor" and a pair of rag wool socks.  Obviously, the wool socks do not dry quickly, but the polypro socks do, and could be worn under a lighter shoe as a single layer. 

Nothing helps keep my feet warm against the mid-west winter, except staying out of the cold, sorry.

The capilene under garments from Columbia, Patagonia, and those sold under the REI house label have proved very effective for me in the cold mid-west winters, they also dry relatively quickly.

If I feel that mid layer is necessary, I tend to just double up on the capilene shirt. 

For an outer short sleeve T, find a microfiber shirt in a light color to help keep cool, or a darker color to help keep warm.

0 Likes

On the socks, I recommend Icebreaker brand, made from merino wool. They fit well and don't bunch up in places. They come in different weights so you can get summer versus winter socks if you want, but with good boots they should all go down to 32 F. After I switched to Icebreaker socks and good boots, I never got another blister.

0 Likes

When I began hiking, I wore two pair of socks.  Since I cannot remember when polypropylene socks became available, I cannot be certain when I started using a thin polypropylene liner sock along with a thick cushion wool hiking sock.  Now, I carry two pair of polypropylene socks, wear one pair with the extra in my pack.  At night, I remove my socks but leave them in my sleeping bag.  In the morning, both pair of socks are warm and dry.  Depending on weather conditions, I rinse out one pair of polypropylene socks each day if I think they will dry.  Whether they will dry depends on where I am hiking.

Generally, the only thing touching my skin is polypropylene or wool.  Never hike in anything made of cotton.  Get a couple polypropylene T-Shirts, one short-sleeve and one long-sleeve. 

0 Likes
  • Darn Tough Socks…..GREAT socks, albeit expensive.  Lifetime warranty though!
0 Likes

As for the socks. Minus 33 are the best hiking socks I have ever used. Made in the Northeast. Can take a beating all day and perform flawlessly. I wore one pair for three days recently on the presidential traverse in the whites and they never failed me.

0 Likes

SmartWool’s merino hunting socks are comfortable, supportive, and light weight- would definitely recommend these!

0 Likes

Honestly Hike/Trek merino wool! DarnTough made in Vermont. They are lightweight w cushion. Been washed many times, moisture wicking, thermo regulating, anti microbial 👏🏼

Hi,

In regards to socks - my husband and I always wear a pair of REI brand sock liners paired with DARN TOUGH socks. We have tried other brands - none of them ever came close to being as good as Darn Tough. So, we only do Darn Tough now. And the REI liners work great, last a long time, and are economical. We also always carry little 3-M surgical tape and we just pop some of that on if ever we feel a hot spot start developing. We have never - literally NEVER - have suffered a blister on our many trails, including walking the Camino de Santiago. 🙂 

Happy Hiking!

------------------------------------
Go outside and play, kids!