cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for recommendations for wide hiking boots.

Hi. I I have wide feet size 12 EE. I have a wide toebox and midfoot but have a narrow heel. I am looking for hiking boot that will go over my ankle. Many hiking boots just come in a wide size and do not specify the width. Any suggestions for hiking boots that will fit my foot. Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
2 Replies

Hi @healyrl - Thanks for reaching out!

While it can change for some brands, the common naming system for shoe width is the following:

• narrow - C
  • regular - D
  • wide - E/EE

Sizes wider than EE are often noted as 3E, 4E, etc on their labels. 

Because it is hard to determine a good boot fit online, we do recommend you trying on boots at your nearest REI. If that is not possible, you can also schedule a free virtual outfitter appointment to discuss what you're looking for in your boot one-on-one with one of our footwear experts. 

Factors like breathability, waterproofing, and boot weight often impact the decision making process, so you will want to consider those while determining what is the right boot for you. To get started on your search, we recommend the following options, which have wide sizes and are also known for having a wider toe box area specifically: 

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

I concur with the Keen and Merrell Moab. I have experience with both. When I tried the Renegade I found them too snug, but I liked the boot otherwise. By the way, I have three pair the Merrell Moab, all in the standard shoe--1 12  W, 1 12 medium, and 1 12 W, Gortex lined. Even with the Goretex, not some imitation, but Goretex, my feet sweat unless it is cold outside. I also have a Salomon 12.5 4D boot, above the ankle boot. 

Best of luck to you! You can find a good fitting boot/shoe. You just may have to try on several different ones to get the right fit.  When you get the right fit, you might want to buy a second pair for future wear after you wear out the good ones.

I had an REI shoe pro fit me to the Salomons. Before that I was wearing 11s or 11.5s in a variety of brands, including Keen and Merrell. Going to the bigger size took care of my wider feet, so you may just need to go up a size to address the wide part. I also just bought a pair of Thorogood moc toe leather boots with wedge sole. They are very comfortable, but I would not go on a long, hilly hike with them. The sole is too smooth for that. 

0 Likes