cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for advice on a good pair of hiking shoes.

Hey all, I'm looking for a recommendation on some good hiking shoes that won't break the bank. Previously, I had some Columbia Crestwood mid waterproof boots that did not last long or even close to long at all. I'm looking for something that would be great for wet slippery trails as I live in Maine and mud season is right around the corner. With that being said I'm open to non waterproof shoes as they will dry quicker anyways, but don't mind waterproof. Any suggestions on some decent hikers that will last awhile are appreciated. 

Thanks, Matt.

0 Likes
11 Replies

Thank you everybody for the help, I was more then amazed with how helpful everyone was. With that being said I decided to purchase a pair of Keen Explore Waterproof hiking shoes because I liked the technologies they used. With that being said I saw the popularity of Oboz and will probably by an Oboz boot as well (just to try it.) Once again thanks all for the great advice and recommendations.

I"m going to focus on your last sentence, "that will last awhile".

At this point, you might as well get a waterproof boot if your in it for the long haul.

When looking at the profile or out soles, others have mentioned Vibram, look at these type of out soles.

The reason why is, as another mentioned, those type of boots you can literally hand down, as these type of boots can be re-soled.  It's an old school thing, but if your going to invest in very nice water proof boots, you might as well re-sole them than throwing away.

It saves the environment and the boots will keep getting more comfortable over time, the leather will actually start to break in and mold around your foot.

When the time comes, you'll have options for re-soling the heel alone, which wears the quickest most often and/ or the front part.  If you wear the out soles way down, a good shoe maker/ cobbler can actually replace the whole out sole with a new Vibram out sole, I"m actually had this done.

It's like basically like getting new tires for your car.

This is just my opinion, as it seems to be more common now a days to make shoes in such a way that you just throw them away.

0 Likes