cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

looking for a fellow female hiking partner

Hi,  My friends and family are always nagging me to not hike alone in the back country trails...but I have always loved the peace and solitude that comes with being alone.  But as an older woman I should try to see if there is a like minded woman who also would like a partner as well.  I am an experienced hiker, very independent, fit and healthy.  I enjoy trails that have few hikers on them and I can usually hike between 6 to 13 miles in a day.  Some of my favorite trails are Trapper Creek, Elk Creek, Salmon River, Quartz Creek, Dumbbell & Sandy Lakes Loop, Enchantments, and the lakes in the Indian Haven Wilderness, just to name a few...

I look forward to any replies, questions or comments.

3 Replies

Hi @gabriellehiker45 - Thanks for reaching out! It looks like a lot of your favorite hikes are around Washington state. Are you looking for local hiking partners or are you open to a wider area? We could move your post to the Washington state board if it's the former. 

Hopefully some other community members will weigh in with their comments and suggestions too.

Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@gabriellehiker45, we are going to post your e-mail response here so other hikers can see it. 

"I am open to Oregon hikers and southern Washington hikers.  Prefer a like minded woman hiking partner. Thanks"

Another resource that has been recommended by community members is Meetup.com, where you might be able to find fellow women also looking hiking partners.

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

While hiking with a partner is wise, it is not always convenient.  One thing you might consider if you are not already using one is a Garmin InReach.  While not exactly cheap,  it allows you to share your location and track with family and friends and gives you the ability to summon help should you run into difficulties whether or not you have cell phone service.  While it is not quite the same as having a person immediately available it can go a long way to quieting the concerns of others and can be a life saver if an emergency did occur, not just for you but for incidents you might come across.

Assuming you both have one it can also be useful if you hike with another person at the same time but not necessarily together since it allows you to communicate along the trail. 

0 Likes