cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Introducing Tough Boots with a Lighter Footprint: New REI Co-op Boots

REI is proud to introduce our very own boots — designed with the input of thousands of members like you, the REI Co-op Flash and Traverse boots are tough, comfy straight out of the box, and made with mother nature in mind. Whether you’re taking your first step onto a trail or tackling a long-awaited backpacking trip, these boots are made to help you and us go farther and further together.

dustin_kingman_20200930_0547.pngdustin_kingman_20200930_0639.png

The materials used to produce both pairs of boots were chosen for their performance and sustainability, including a 25% corn-based Susterra compound in the TrailBed insole and a 10% algae-based Bloom foam in the TerraLoft midsole cushioning. We’re proud to say these boots promise a brighter future both on and off the trail.

What are the specifics that you look for in a pair of hiking boots? Ask your questions about this new lineup and we’ll be happy to answer them for you!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
9 Replies

I have wide (ish) feet and, because of that, Merrell is my go to brand. How does the width of the toe box in these compare to Merrell (or Keen, another brand known to be "wide foot friendly")?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

@Dad_Aint_Hip 

Thanks for reaching out!

These are designed with a wider toe box and a narrower heel. For most folks they should feel nice and roomy. I don't have 'wide' feet, at least not when measured with a brannock device, however, I very much appreciate extra room in my boots to accommodate my 'high volume' feet. I pre-ordered a pair and will hopefully have them in early April. I will report back with some firsthand feedback then!

Thanks!

I have read all reviews on both models from the initial reviewers.  I really like the wider toe box and narrower heal on these models.  I think you have hit a home run with these and will look forward to purchasing one or both models.  

Odd that both models are "waterproof".  It seems an almost a universal recommendation to not get waterproof boots for 3 season backpacking mostly because they run hot and also because if they ever do get wet inside (typically from water crossings)  they take an age to dry out and tend to get stinky.

Are REI planning a non waterproof version?

@OldGuyot 

We'll check in with the design team on your question. Non-waterproof versions were on the radar, but we'll have to confirm if that is still the case. We'll circle back when we have more info.

Personally, while I am intrigued with the idea of simply 'wearing my boots dry', I still struggle with the feeling of soggy, wet feet when I'm on the trail. Particularly here in the Pacific Northwest where it's almost a given that you'll be dealing with moisture on the trail. I find that I'm fine with boots that run a bit on the hot side if it means that the water from mud, puddles, rain, and shallow water crossings stay out of the boots. I'm curious to try these and I'll let you know how well they breathe!

If my boots get "soggy," say from wading through a stream, I take off my boots and socks, wring out my socks, and put them all back on. I use wicking sock liners, which also help. I run hot, so drying out boots and clothing by wearing them works well for me. It would not work well for my wife, who is the opposite. She wears waterproof boots. I never do. Ironically, she is more likely to try to walk around puddles, and I walk straight through them.

0 Likes

@Dad_Aint_Hip  @lightning1  @OldGuyot 

First Look: New Hiking Boots from REI Co-op is a really interesting write-up about these boots in the Co-op Journal. It's a great read and gives a lot more detail about how they came to life and the really cool sustainability story. Enjoy!

Wow, this is interesting.  I've had my current pair for several years now, so I suspect they'll likely fail me soon.  Most likely when I'm way out back of beyond.  (The last two pair did! 🤣 ).  I will keep these in mind.  Thanks for alerting us.

Retired medical technologist and engineer
REI member since 1978
Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

With so many of us switching to low top, lightweight hikers I hope that a more sustainable option is made available by REI.