cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

How long does bear spray last?

I never had to use the bear spray, which is the best possible case. I bought two cans in 2019 during a camping trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. How long it lasts? I don't expect to resell them, but I'd like to pass them on to someone who may need them.

Farther. Higher. Longer.
2 Replies

I was looking at the two canisters we have and it appears the expiration date has rubbed off over the course of a couple years of hiking and backpacking trips.  I guess I should have made a note of the dates somewhere...note to self for the future.

I also did a quick check of the Counter Assault website and did not find any information there, either.

All that said, I found this article, How to Use Bear Spray, in the REI Co-op Journal that says, "Bear spray has a shelf life of about 4 years. After that, it can lose its propellent, which means the spray won’t travel as far. The potency of the pepper does not diminish with time, though."

Get outdoors, stay safe, and happy trails!
Todd the Hiker

Thank you Todd! That's very helpful. I guess I have a couple of more years to use them... more reasons for another trip to the west!

Farther. Higher. Longer.
0 Likes