cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

How do you study nature? Foraging? Other activities?

So far I have been hiking, peak bagging, backpacking but I want to slow down and study the nature a bit more, identify plants, observe wildlife and forage. I have been using the app SEEK, taking pictures etc.

I have foraged berries and a few easy to identify mushrooms and I am very new to this.

What are other activities I can do in the woods without damaging anything-NO bush-crafting?

I was thinking this winter I can forage/hunt for antlers! May be start tracking animals and taking pictures?

What other activities can do you do in the woods through 4 seasons that are low/no impact and doesn't need a lot of gear? Location/Season info along with activity would be great!

0 Likes
4 Replies

On every annual hiking, hunting and fishing tour, me and my friends bring our gadgets including some rifles and scope. But that's not really necessary if you are going to study plants or specially spot wildlife which we love doing!
I would say a good binocular would do a lot for you. Since we are group, we bought an expensive rangefinder binocular that can not only zoom in and let us spot wildlife from far but also tells us distance to various peaks . This really help us makes decision of planning our way in rainy clouds. You can look for a nice one at hunting manual as they have listed almost all of them. I have selected one for a friend for this hunting season and its working great so far. Hope it helps!

0 Likes

I have a suggestion for nature study.  Volunteer for "nature study" ( usually referred to as resource management or a similar term)  and see what is available.  I have been volunteering at my local park since retirement and it has been very fulfilling.  Opportunities will vary wildly, depending upon the park's specific needs.  If by chance things work out and you are interested in a career, you will have references from people who are well aware of your fantastic capabilities

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

@roadtrip I am with @hikermor, there are a lot of opportunities for citizen/community science. There may be projects through local parks, universities, or large organizations. For instance, the Audubon does a Christmas bird count every year that people can take part in (https://www.audubon.org/conservation/science/christmas-bird-count). Nat Geo has a large list of citizen science projects that might interest you (https://www.nationalgeographic.org/idea/citizen-science-projects/) in addition to local projects.

PDB
he/him/his
0 Likes

These days I try to just not fall down when walking a trail.

that said, volunteering at my local park sounds like something I’m going to consider!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes