cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: How do you deal with the frustration when sidelined by an injury?

Been sidelined from hiking/running for the past month due to a foot injury. Been going a bit stir-crazy without being able to get out for a hike or run. How have others dealt with injury frustration?
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

OH MY GOSH. I just got done with a 6 week leg rest due to a stress fracture caused by not taking resting when it was just shin splints. It was horrible. I went from running 20+ miles each Saturday (not to mention three runs on weekdays and riding my bike to the climbing gym the other two days of the week). So what I'm saying is... I feel your pain.

I didn't want to lose all my cardio, and I read that even biking can cause problems with stress fractures in the shin.... so I turned to swimming and it helped a ton. Luckily I have a great rec-center close by, so I paid for a month and went there instead of on my runs. I even went to the adult "swim team" practices early Saturday mornings. This really helped me fill the gap, and it was fun and new since I haven't swam in over a decade. I also tried aqua-jogging to keep up cardio fitness, and sometimes did a 50/50 workout of aqua-jogging and swimming to mix it up. I also go to a climbing gym, so I just drove instead of biking there (I tried the bike once, and the 7mi RT with hills caused pain). Climbing didn't seem to bother my injury. 

Anyways, basically I'm saying I found something healthy that didn't hurt my injury, and could fill the gap. I hope you can find something else you love to do, and heal quickly!!

6 Replies

OH MY GOSH. I just got done with a 6 week leg rest due to a stress fracture caused by not taking resting when it was just shin splints. It was horrible. I went from running 20+ miles each Saturday (not to mention three runs on weekdays and riding my bike to the climbing gym the other two days of the week). So what I'm saying is... I feel your pain.

I didn't want to lose all my cardio, and I read that even biking can cause problems with stress fractures in the shin.... so I turned to swimming and it helped a ton. Luckily I have a great rec-center close by, so I paid for a month and went there instead of on my runs. I even went to the adult "swim team" practices early Saturday mornings. This really helped me fill the gap, and it was fun and new since I haven't swam in over a decade. I also tried aqua-jogging to keep up cardio fitness, and sometimes did a 50/50 workout of aqua-jogging and swimming to mix it up. I also go to a climbing gym, so I just drove instead of biking there (I tried the bike once, and the 7mi RT with hills caused pain). Climbing didn't seem to bother my injury. 

Anyways, basically I'm saying I found something healthy that didn't hurt my injury, and could fill the gap. I hope you can find something else you love to do, and heal quickly!!

Thanks for the ideas! I'm also thinking of doing some kayaking in order to get outside a bit more. Though that's a bit less accessible for me on a work day. 

While recovering from injury, I try to focus inward and channel my frustration and negative energy towards a more hopeful mindset. I do more meditation. I journal. I write vision statements of what I want to do, which helps me feel excitement for recovery.

I walked what little I could.  I used my bicycle on a stand till I got better and was able to ride outside.  This was part of my rehab and worked for me.  Also caught up on reading about some adventure trips for future planning.

I feel your pain!  I've been on crutches for the last month with an ACL injury and have been going a bit stir-crazy.  I've been going to the pool and have been able to sit on the step and move my legs in a bicycle motion.  I can't actually ride a bike yet but when I can put more weight on it, that will be my next step.  Your suggestion of kayaking is great too - you can get outdoors and get some exercise.

I've gone fishing with my husband a few times; I can't really walk around much but I bring a chair and just it's nice to be out in the woods.  I've also spent some of my forced time indoors planning a short backpacking trip for later this year when I can hike again. 

I also found a great book about trees that has helped pass the time too (The Overstory).

Good luck on your recovery!

Sorry you got injured. I hope you heal quickly! At the end of September last year I tore my knee MCL when I was at the height of my fitness for hiking, scrambling, and climbing.  I didn't want to lose all of my fitness so I bought a pull up bar and started working on the upper body and core. As soon as I felt better walking, I started going to the indoor climbing gyms which was not too bad because I had to think of some clever ways to not bend or extend my knee.  Eventualy I did some very slowwwww hiking with poles and avoided any sort of knee twisting and extension. My knee is much better now and my rock climbing, although still a little clunky, continues to improve. My stubborness to keep my knee moving in a safe manner has also paid off as I just summitted Mount Baker the other weekend. Good luck and be smart about your injury.

0 Likes