cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

How do you deal with the frustration when sidelined by an injury?

Been sidelined from hiking/running for the past month due to a foot injury. Been going a bit stir-crazy without being able to get out for a hike or run. How have others dealt with injury frustration?
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

OH MY GOSH. I just got done with a 6 week leg rest due to a stress fracture caused by not taking resting when it was just shin splints. It was horrible. I went from running 20+ miles each Saturday (not to mention three runs on weekdays and riding my bike to the climbing gym the other two days of the week). So what I'm saying is... I feel your pain.

I didn't want to lose all my cardio, and I read that even biking can cause problems with stress fractures in the shin.... so I turned to swimming and it helped a ton. Luckily I have a great rec-center close by, so I paid for a month and went there instead of on my runs. I even went to the adult "swim team" practices early Saturday mornings. This really helped me fill the gap, and it was fun and new since I haven't swam in over a decade. I also tried aqua-jogging to keep up cardio fitness, and sometimes did a 50/50 workout of aqua-jogging and swimming to mix it up. I also go to a climbing gym, so I just drove instead of biking there (I tried the bike once, and the 7mi RT with hills caused pain). Climbing didn't seem to bother my injury. 

Anyways, basically I'm saying I found something healthy that didn't hurt my injury, and could fill the gap. I hope you can find something else you love to do, and heal quickly!!

6 Replies

OH MY GOSH. I just got done with a 6 week leg rest due to a stress fracture caused by not taking resting when it was just shin splints. It was horrible. I went from running 20+ miles each Saturday (not to mention three runs on weekdays and riding my bike to the climbing gym the other two days of the week). So what I'm saying is... I feel your pain.

I didn't want to lose all my cardio, and I read that even biking can cause problems with stress fractures in the shin.... so I turned to swimming and it helped a ton. Luckily I have a great rec-center close by, so I paid for a month and went there instead of on my runs. I even went to the adult "swim team" practices early Saturday mornings. This really helped me fill the gap, and it was fun and new since I haven't swam in over a decade. I also tried aqua-jogging to keep up cardio fitness, and sometimes did a 50/50 workout of aqua-jogging and swimming to mix it up. I also go to a climbing gym, so I just drove instead of biking there (I tried the bike once, and the 7mi RT with hills caused pain). Climbing didn't seem to bother my injury. 

Anyways, basically I'm saying I found something healthy that didn't hurt my injury, and could fill the gap. I hope you can find something else you love to do, and heal quickly!!

Thanks for the ideas! I'm also thinking of doing some kayaking in order to get outside a bit more. Though that's a bit less accessible for me on a work day. 

While recovering from injury, I try to focus inward and channel my frustration and negative energy towards a more hopeful mindset. I do more meditation. I journal. I write vision statements of what I want to do, which helps me feel excitement for recovery.

I walked what little I could.  I used my bicycle on a stand till I got better and was able to ride outside.  This was part of my rehab and worked for me.  Also caught up on reading about some adventure trips for future planning.

I feel your pain!  I've been on crutches for the last month with an ACL injury and have been going a bit stir-crazy.  I've been going to the pool and have been able to sit on the step and move my legs in a bicycle motion.  I can't actually ride a bike yet but when I can put more weight on it, that will be my next step.  Your suggestion of kayaking is great too - you can get outdoors and get some exercise.

I've gone fishing with my husband a few times; I can't really walk around much but I bring a chair and just it's nice to be out in the woods.  I've also spent some of my forced time indoors planning a short backpacking trip for later this year when I can hike again. 

I also found a great book about trees that has helped pass the time too (The Overstory).

Good luck on your recovery!

Sorry you got injured. I hope you heal quickly! At the end of September last year I tore my knee MCL when I was at the height of my fitness for hiking, scrambling, and climbing.  I didn't want to lose all of my fitness so I bought a pull up bar and started working on the upper body and core. As soon as I felt better walking, I started going to the indoor climbing gyms which was not too bad because I had to think of some clever ways to not bend or extend my knee.  Eventualy I did some very slowwwww hiking with poles and avoided any sort of knee twisting and extension. My knee is much better now and my rock climbing, although still a little clunky, continues to improve. My stubborness to keep my knee moving in a safe manner has also paid off as I just summitted Mount Baker the other weekend. Good luck and be smart about your injury.

0 Likes